Looking to replicate 1910's style motorcycles

GoldenMotor.com

Orion1915

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
Hello everyone this is my first (besides introduction) thread here.I've admired the motorcycles from the 1900's-1910's era due to their simplicity and looks.I want to try and build my own in such similar style but to my own model.What I propose is a diamond type frame.I've found this bicycle and was wondering if it would be suitable for conversion?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XYZYT6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

I was wondering if such a frame could handle a motor?I have found the other parts for it such as seating,long gas tank,and other pieces.I don't want to add any modifications to the frame so I hope it is suitable enough.

I appreciate all the help and hope to see if it can be done

Thanks

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
That's a good candidate for a 2 stroke.The 2 strokes fit very nice in a V frame like this one. I would think your tire width might be alittle on the thin side. But that's just my opinion and I'm just going off the photo. Good Luck

Orion1915

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
I was thinking that too about the width.I'm not sure if its large enough.If so then that would have to be fixed somehow.Here's a better look at the tires.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Orion1915

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
I thank you for that link as I haven't come across them before.Their accessories are very much desirable for me.The Sportsman Flyer has the looks that I like.Unfortunately me being busy in college I have not the budget for a market kit.I also found at town a Royce Union bicycle for sale that very much would fit the purpose for $200.Though through the link you've provided Fastteddy it gives me much more options as they have some parts that I've been looking for.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This appears to be close to what you're aiming at, but it's more early 1930s European.

Last edited:

Orion1915

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
Great image as it shows that even with the second tubular frame bar there is enough room for the engine.I also want to add a headlamp though originals are of course priced high and modern types not accurate enough.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Your engine should slide right in! When you have the V frame it's very simple to install. That image Ludwig but up is peeeeerfect

Orion1915

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
That image is perfect indeed.With that problem done now the next issue is the wheel size.I think if I was to change the rims/tire to a beach cruiser size it would rub too much to the forks.Is it possible to place without modification?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Do you have a local "proper" bicycle dealer or other knowledgeable person to talk to with the/a bike in front of you?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Builder JohnnySlade has recently built some pretty convincing highly detailed early motorcycle tributes that would lend themselves well to that frame. As well as others here, perhaps do some forum searches with years in the title (1900, 1901, etc…)

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=58028
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59929
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=60387

His are very European, but there’s plenty of early American brands that also have that "bicycle with motor" look- Early (pre 1909) Indians, Harley's, Thor's, Clement's, California motor company, Metz, Orient, Mitchell, Bradley, Merkel, Marsh, Crouch, Racycle, Reading Standard, Apache, and there’s more…

Member Ludwig II has some pretty good picture threads to look at too!

The vast majority of those bikes actually used 28” wheels albeit with wider rims & fatter tires… However most builders here do use 26” wheels nowadays as the tire selection is far greater! Keep in mind that these smaller wheels tend to also shrink the overall scale of the bike around 10%

Will fat tires rub? :confused: Measure twice, buy once!

Good luck, looking forward to see what you come up with!

-Kirk

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Your right Velodrome & Fast Eddie's already finished one "camel back" tank (for his Tadpole) and is starting to build another tank. Most of us also think of drop loop frames when visualizing early Indian moto-bikes, but the early singles and twins utilized the head of the engine as a seat post, by extending that line through the engine to the bottom bracket we see a V connection to the forward down tube, not a loop. Again your correct in saying that not only a Camel back tank but also a relatively common V frame mounted with a China girl or other 2 cycle could & do (think Villiers for example) look the part of at least a single cylinder early day Indian & the V frame is easier to "fill up" than the roomy loop frame which leads to a better looking build as well, with a small motor, and not using panels to take up the empty space. Of course it won't be an exact replica of an Indian, but a nice early look tribute bike designed to be enjoyed and not in order to fool others as to it's authenticity! Rick C.