79cc Predator Flywheel Upgrade?

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
My flywheel failed catastrophically today, destroyed itself, the magneto, the blower, the housing, and to top it all off, broke the engine block itself. I have heard mention of billet flywheels before but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Can someone point me to somewhere I might be able to find one?

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
This is good to know. Ive been looking too and cant seem to find any billet flywheels for the 79cc. At least someone does make them. Ive also seen the prebuilt only availability ones but none for us yet. Thats funny you find this advertisment on BMI's website. I looked a few minutes ago and didnt run across it. Maybe because I typed for 79cc predator instead of 3hp. Now Im wondering if they made this for the 99cc? Furthermore, I wonder if it fits both or if they are the same?

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
My 79cc is pretty much stock,guess I'll leave it that way,Wow! that could have been a disaster,glad you weren't hurt.
Mine is stock for now too. Did you remove your Governor? And how does it do? Are you cruising along pretty good? Mine isnt finished yet. Im going to be running the AGK jackshaft plate clone setup from Gasbike.net with a 50 tooth rear sprocket if Im correct. I just want to be able to cruise the thing at a decent pace is possible with a decent off start take off. Im wondering how risky it is to run the governor disconnected around flat areas in my neighborhood. Mostly flat with many stop signs. Id hate for it to fall apart on me. Seems many people are having some luck though as many are using the 79cc out there. I also wonder if people run with the governor all hooked up? How would you even get the throttle to work properly? Wouldnt it just tug back on the carb actuator? I think its designed to do that. When the rpm reaches more than the factory max, the governor expands and hits the swing flap rod, which lessens the carb actuator and linkage at that area on the carb. Anyways. I dont know as everybody's linkage setup can vary a little bit. Im going to be running a pz 19 which would make the governor totally separate from my throttle now. I guess it has to come out. I guess a person could always remake some special linkage before the carb with a split in the cable to keep the governor so it dont fall apart. This idea is only if the thing is not super slow. I can live with 25-30mph . I may want 35. But if the governor all hooked up makes it like dog poo slow, its got to go. lol Anyways, sorry for the long post. If anyone would like to chime in on any one part of my post, please do. I want to hear more on the 79 cc, governor removal risks and how to treat one with the removed governor in ways to keep it together. Thanks

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I am still waiting to see an actual exploded 79cc flywheel.

We run those 79's to valve float on bikes geared 16:1 overall. Never seen one fail.

Remove all of the governor parts from inside the crankcase. They fly apart above 5k and cause lots of trouble.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Governor removed, no billet flywheel and turning 8,000rpm + with no probs so far. This 99cc has been raced and is used as my daily commuter.

The funny thing is putting $190 flywheel on a $99 engine......not a problem if you want performance :D

Last edited:

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Governor removed, no billet flywheel and turning 8,000rpm + with no probs so far. This 99cc has been raced and is used a my daily commuter.

The funny thing is putting $190 flywheel on a $99 engine......not a problem if you want performance :D
Awesome and great to hear the 79 Predator is holding up to these conditions. It makes me feel better about this whole thing. Thanks.