Noob here, first post, Question on Fat bikes

GoldenMotor.com

NorthernVandal

Dec 1, 2015
Idaho
I found you guys, awesome. Howdy everyone. I have begun my search to find the perfect motor setup for my Soul Stomper. The issue that has me searching is that #1 my bike has fatty tires, and #2, finding the engine and drive setup, be it chain or friction drive, I may have issues with the bike being set up with a factory 3 speed and hydraulic disc on the left rear wheel. Any ideas on this kind of complication or am I pretty much going to have to bring the bike down to a single speed? Thanks everyone, nice to meet you guys.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you with us.

If you use our 'Search' and type in 'fat bike' you'll have some reading that might help you make some decisions on your build. What you'll see is that they do not lend themselves to a simple bolt-on engine installation. You might need to fabricate some type of off-set engine mounts to accommodate the wide rear tire and to have drive chain clearance.

That said, there are quite a few recent builds using the fat bike design so it isn't impossible, just a little more challenging.

Your disc brake will be an issue if you plan on a Chinese 2 stroke kit. It will interfer with the rear, driven sprocket installation. However there are ways around that too.

Keep in mind that the type and number of 'gears' your bike currently has only comes into play when you're pedaling. The gears have nothing to do with the engine driving the bike, unless, you purchase and install something called a 'shift kit' or jackshaft drive. This will allow use of the bike's gears when the engine is pulling the bike. You'll need to do some research on that option too.

Good luck and let us know when you decide on a power source and we can be more specific about offering advice on motorizing your bike.

Tom

Last edited:

NorthernVandal

Dec 1, 2015
Idaho
Thanks for the help, I know I will find myself searching and searching, it seems I may be in a little bit of a pickle to get the right setup. Perhaps a frame mounted chain drive or maybe even start looking at front drive electrics.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks for the help, I know I will find myself searching and searching, it seems I may be in a little bit of a pickle to get the right setup. Perhaps a frame mounted chain drive or maybe even start looking at front drive electrics.
Have you bought it yet?
If so, which model, exactly, do you have?
http://shop.soulcruzers.com/

You should be able to fit a 2-stroke in one with the head rotated 180 so the spark plug faces forward with a SickBikeParts jackshaft shift kit but it will be close.

Another option is to make it a center mounted shifting electric so you don't have to mess the wheels, kind of like this fat tire 48V 960W dual disc 7-speed.

Not cheap, but mindlessly easy to operate and maintain other than the awkward 4" wide tires.

If you have not bought a bike yet I urge you to look at 3" wide fat tire bikes.
You get the same cool fat tire look but better performance and not that 'monster truck' feel riding it.
I have build a handful of fat tire bikes and don't like those 4+" tire bikes a bit but absolutely love the 3" ones.

You still can't go direct drive on most anything with a tire wider than 2.125-2.25" wide tires without (in my opinion) really silly measures though so keep that in mind.

NorthernVandal

Dec 1, 2015
Idaho
I have the Soul Stomper Factory Raw with the rear disc and three speed setup. I like the idea of the eBike setup like that mongoose, maybe a front drive deal would work best. Will try to find some reviews on it. Thank you so much.

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
I have the Soul Stomper Factory Raw with the rear disc and three speed setup. I like the idea of the eBike setup like that mongoose, maybe a front drive deal would work best. Will try to find some reviews on it. Thank you so much.
Let us know what you decide. Like I said, I faced a laundry list of issues with my Soul Stomper. I'd like to know what else will work with a fat bike like these, without all the issues. Still, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my motorized Raw Black Soul Stomper.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sweet.
That is ideal for a mid mount shifter be it a 2-stroke or an electric.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
There are quite a few recent builds using the fat bike design so it isn't impossible, just a little more challenging.

Your disc brake will be an issue if you plan on a Chinese 2 stroke kit. It will interfer with the rear, driven sprocket installation. However there are ways around that too.

Tom
Can you point to me where I can find the parts to make a 2 stroke works with the motor, chain and sprocket on a fat tire bike? Thank you for your time.