No power, engine skips fire?

GoldenMotor.com

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
Hey guys!! Long time no see.
I've had my motorized bicycle (4th one...) for about 2 years.
The other day i was riding and the bike suddenly stopped. I checked if i had any gas in it, it was almost full. Tried to start it up a few times, didn't work. Went to my house, a few blocks before i gave it another try and it worked... But it didn't have any power, as in when i just let the clutch go the bike would stop. Even if i revved it up and slowly let the clutch go. And if you hear you can listen that it skips a "pop". I'm sorry for my bad english...
Yesterday i opened up the engine to see if the piston and cylinder were looking good. And they did, the piston looks a little brown on the sides but i don't think that is bad. Both the cylinder and piston don't have any scratches.
I changed the spark plug and tested the spark, it seems good.
Can anyone help me?
I use good quality oil.
Could it be compression?
Thanks!!!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you are losing compression, you will usually see some oil seepage near the head gasket or sometimes along the seam where the two halves of the cases join

If it is due to a bad crank seal, then oil may show up under the rotor or behind the small bevel gear

a weak CDI can also make that popping noise

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It could be ancompression loss at the rings if the bike was babied too much during break in... what happens is the cylinder walls will glaze before the rings seat so the bike will run good during break in and it'll gain some power as things free up, then it'll begin to lose power. On a 4 stroke engine you would see it start to smoke during acceleration and it would get progressively worse before any power loss happens, but on a 2 stroke the engine feels strong one day then it'll feel not so strong but it'll still run good, then a few days later it'll start to get boggy and may die if trying to go full throttle under load. As it gets worse it'll bog just reving the engine.
if you got a compression tester try running a compression check to see how much compression pressure you get.
if its a head gasket issue, there will be some oily residue at the failure point but if its the rings you wont see anything but a perfectly shiny cylinder. A new set of rings and a re hone will get ya back up and running, but if you don't have a 48mm flex hone its probably cheaper to replace the cylinder too

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Sounds like a compression leak. Start the engine, disengage clutch and lock it with the button, see if you can keep it going with the throttle and hold your other hand close to all sides of the head and see if you feel any hot air shooting out, often times compression leaks happen at the head.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
All the answers are definitely possibilities... Best thing to do is pull the clutch and mag cover to check for fuel residue which would point to a case leak (easy) and then do a compression check (also easy, but need a compression tester).
Another test you could perform would be to seal off the intake and exhaust ports (those rubber stoppers for lab testing work really well here, just need one with a hole in it so pressure can be applied by a hand pump or small compressor, or tire inflator etc) and pressurize the case to about 10 psi and use some soapy water on all the seams to see if you can find bubbles showing the leak... One thing that works really good for finding a case leak is a bottle of kids bubbles, just pour a little over the suspected area once pressure is applied and it'll start blowing bubbles at the leak.
A little bubble soap around the head and turning over the engine will reveal even a small leak at the gasket.

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
Hey guys! Thanks for all the answers.
I had another motorized bicycle on my house which had only the engine and frame. So i took the piston, cylinder, carburator and cylinder head and replaced it on the broken bike.
It worked!!!! I hope it will do okay!
Thanks again!!!

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
Okay, same thing happened today. I said "How is it possible, the same misfiring, and i had changed half of the engine... What didn't i change? The electric part of the engine".
So the journey began, as i unscrew the bolt from the magneto cover, lots of water comes out........ Oh crap.
I dried everything... Started up perfect...
Thanks everyone!!!! You learn things everyday!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Magnetos, especially the little Chinese 2 stroke mags don't get along well with moisture. The area where the wires exit the case needs to be sealed well as well as a good gasket on the magneto cover to keep water out.

Glad you found the problem and thanks for keeping us updated on your find..
Good luck and ride safe.

Tom

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
Thanks for the replies.
So after a few days, the problem appeared again... Yes, i was frustrated.
I knew that the water fried my magneto, didn't know if it broke the CDI. So to summarize, i bought a new coil or magneto, and a CDI.
Installed everything, worked just fine, if not better than before.
Probably the old CDI still works, i'll have to try.
It has been a few days and it is safe to say that the problem is gone.
Thanks... again.