Hard to start after stall

GoldenMotor.com

Sneff

May 5, 2015
canada
Hi just found this site and you all seemed quite knowledgeable so I figured
I'd give an ask here.

I just got done installing a Grubee skyhawk gt5a and it went alright, no real problems. I have taken it out for a couple short runs using a 20 to 1 mix and the problem I am having is. if it stalls out it becomes hard to start, wont fire (no pop pop of it trying to kick. this seems to last a while but so far if left sitting for a a while !5 min or so then it seems to return to normal.

Does anyone know anything about this or a way to remedy it?

The engine is brand new installed the day of posting this.

Thanks in advance
Sneff

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
could be a fuel flow problem or perhaps it is too rich to run after it is warm

to check flow - take out the drain screw on carb bowl & watch fuel run into a container under the hole to see if it seems sufficient

check richness as usual be reading plug or just trying with needle lowered to see if it helps

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Also 20:1 is awfully heavy. This topic has been beaten to death here switch to 32:1 as well and that could what's wrong. Could be fouling out the plug.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... I was going to say something about the mix ratio being too heavy with the oil... 32:1 is perfectly safe for break in as well as helping the engine run just a tad cooler from the richer air fuel mix...

Also check your spark plug gap if you haven't already... these engines tend to start easiest and run best with a gap around. 022" to .024"... if the gap is wider than this it will become hard to start. Also the factory plug is junk so get a decent plug like the autolite #275 or an ngk plug... this topic has been gone over a lot as well so someone can chime in and tell you the ngk part number. No real need to buy an expensive irridium or platinum plug during break in but its optional afterwards for better reliability.
The other weak spot in the ignition system is the stock spark plug boot... replacing this with an automotive type boot and installing the little metal contact cap on the plug will make this area a lot more reliable.

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
try venting the fuel tank , by leaving the fuel cap loose . if this works , you need to drill a small hole in the top of the cap . some of the caps don't vent well

Sneff

May 5, 2015
canada
Thank you all for the tips. I'll check the plug gap and gas flow rate out of the bowl.

The first time it did this I checked the plug for fouling and it seamed alright, Clean and the barest hint of dampness. The stalls were my own fault idling to low. So I'm going to adjust the idle so it wont stall out.

Thanks again
Sneff

Sneff

May 5, 2015
canada
I have figured out what the problem has been with it being hard to start after it has been running and its the clutch is getting stuck on while using it during a down hill coast.

So i have given it a little extra slack but it seams like sticking. The arm swings pulls and snaps open fine so I'm guessing is the clutch its self. I'm thinking it will just have to be broken in to get it to work with out sticking

Other than that it's running good. Engine starts up nice and quick, has good response.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Check your clutch cam, these tend to wear out causing the issue... The clutch cam can be easily removed by turning the clutch arm while gently pulling it away from the clutch cover, they're usually coated pretty good with grease so they do need a good cleanup to inspect, but you'll notice the area that wears out and if it looks like that edge has been rounded down it's time to replace the cam.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Ha ha ha ha ha what a joke all these replies...hahahahaha your motor aint run right unless you are prepared to spend 20 to 30 bucks a gallon on non ethanol fuel for small engines. right now, you are burning butane and ethanol . Thats no good for small engines, 2 cycle and 4 cycle . this crap gas you runnin will start to destroy your engine in 30 days... and nobody here mentioned it. hahhahha what a messed up joke... in outa here,. time to go electric and forget about all this messed up crap gas

Sneff

May 5, 2015
canada
Thanks Dave but I got it fixed. Turns out the clutch plate was not cinched up tight enough to the pads, so I had to adjust that. Non shes running and starting like a dream.dance1