Hate......a very hateful, ugly word

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
A sore thing for a topic but I really dislike the way some people refer to people that disagree with something they don't as "haters". Hate is a strong, ugly word that gets used without people really thinking about their usage of it.

Hate is like stepping in fresh dog shat and then making the dog lick it off your foot. I would absolutely hate that!

I think it is an offensive word that should prolly be struck from the dictionary. Too assume someone is a "hater", you really should get to know that person first. Choose your words wisely.....

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I concur, but it seems that many of the folks so quick to come to the conclusion will not sit down and enter into a meaningful discussion about the disagreement. It's unfortunate but that has been my experience ,for what it's worth.
Dan

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Scotto- I like to use the language too, so I agree with you.
This one is a slang-term. Pop language. Common use seems to come from the 90s term "player hater". The proper response, if I remember correctly, was "don't hate the player, hate the game."

You play on, Playboy.(^)

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Your right Scotto. I have been accused of being a "hater" simply because I expressed a different opinion. Many think a difference opinion is the basis for an argument. A basis for a debate sure, but not to argue. The art of debating seems to be lost with most people these days. I love a good debate. Maybe the accusers should take a good look inside themselves, they may find they are the "hater's"... At the least they may find they are narrow minded.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A difficult topic to be sure as so much depends on context - for example rebuking "some people" for a personalized interpretation of the extent & intensity of their word usage & meaning within an unknown, unstated "disagreement" presumes some assumptions of it's own.

I'd not fret the dubious use of a slang term quite to this extent. Both language & the people who use it are dynamic, words and their meanings change not only with time but by subject and social group - generally & most particularly with slang, it's majority rule through common usage in context regardless of any original word origin or meaning.

A classic example would be noob & newb, often used interchangeably "newb" is simply a novice whereas "noob" is derogatorily used to state mental inferiority, inferring an inability or refusal to learn.

...but few know & no one cares about those distinctions anymore, common usage has blurred the meanings to contextual only, without that context the intended meaning cannot be known. Without the intent or meaning, how can it's depth or intensity be judged?

One of the interesting things about this "hater" example is exactly it's comparative intensity in common usage - regardless of what may be a personal objection, it's most often used as a shallow dismissive of an individual or group's shallow dismissiveness, eg;

Chevy Guy: "Fords suck."
Ford Guy: "Chevys suck."
Bike Guy:"Don't be haters, cars suck."

...at which point the disagreement is usually expounded on, if there's any significant depth to it.

This makes any out of context reactionary offense to just the word "hater" questionable to say the least, as what it seems to be here are vague insinuations in protest of a vague deprecatory comments in response to what was likely vague dismissals in the first place. In this instance a heated response to a casual dismissal of a casual dismissal.

By in large the points of contention here are meaning & intent, that such is unknowable without "getting to know that person first" - in that I wholeheartedly agree, up to and including what "they" may have meant by a word someone used rather than just one's own reaction to it. Be wary... for if the meaning you have ascribed to a word that someone else has used supersedes their intention or understanding of it, any offense you are subject to above & beyond their intent or understanding is your own - you may well be insulting yourself with little more then presumption. In haste, you may become what you decry.

The empty dismissal "hater" undermines itself with it's lack of coherent substantiation, as does the unequivocal rejection of any who may use the term - the protest becomes null.

On this international forum comprised of members of all ages & literacy levels in particular - it's not what you say but how you say it, not the words used but what may be meant.

Anything else would be chaos indeed.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Truly hateful energy is poisonous, both for the one feeling it and for the one receiving it. Best to leave it alone with the other dark energies. I'd rather ride me bike, pet the dog, kiss a girl, go fishing.
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i think "love" is thrown around more than "hate."

i say "hate" all the time, but not in an offensive way.

i mean, i hate walmart bikes (and walmart in general.) but i don't hate the riders.

i hate stepping in cat puke, but i don't hate my cat.

i hate breaking my bike at the track when i'm leading the race.

i love burritos, but i hate taco bell.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
As long as you are a registered psychopath I would imagine it's fine. And since you know how to spell it, I'm confident you are in fact registered.
Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As long as you are a registered psychopath I would imagine it's fine. And since you know how to spell it, I'm confident you are in fact registered.
Dan
But keeping within the context, would that not be a cyclo-path?
Oh, wait. That sounds like somplace to ride bicycles. Never mind.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I said it before and I'll say it again, I hate 2 strokes.

Except outboards that is. That I think is the perfect app for a 2 stroke.

No air filters to clog. Not needed. You ain't kickin' up much dust on the water.

No muffler needed. The exhaust just blows out the prop hub underwater.

So with no exhaust or airfilters to clog up, they work pretty good.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I said it before and I'll say it again, I hate 2 strokes.

Except outboards that is. That I think is the perfect app for a 2 stroke.

No air filters to clog. Not needed. You ain't kickin' up much dust on the water.

No muffler needed. The exhaust just blows out the prop hub underwater.

So with no exhaust or airfilters to clog up, they work pretty good.
Many people think *hate* 2-strokes......sorry, wrong again! I have always *loved* 2-strokes, I just don't build bicycles with them these days, sorry again Baird.
4-Strokes just rule in many ways.....electrics are pretty likable too!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
But keeping within the context, would that not be a cyclo-path?
Oh, wait. That sounds like somplace to ride bicycles. Never mind.

Tom
I think you were thinking of a "pscyclopath"...
There's one out in the yard behind the "Retreat".
I ride it afternoons at recess after medication and fingerpainting...
:)

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Your right Scotto. I have been accused of being a "hater" simply because I expressed a different opinion. Many think a difference opinion is the basis for an argument. A basis for a debate sure, but not to argue. The art of debating seems to be lost with most people these days. I love a good debate. Maybe the accusers should take a good look inside themselves, they may find they are the "hater's"... At the least they may find they are narrow minded.
Truly hateful energy is poisonous, both for the one feeling it and for the one receiving it. Best to leave it alone with the other dark energies. I'd rather ride me bike, pet the dog, kiss a girl, go fishing.
SB
I concur, but it seems that many of the folks so quick to come to the conclusion will not sit down and enter into a meaningful discussion about the disagreement. It's unfortunate but that has been my experience ,for what it's worth.
Dan
I truly must say, well said you guys! Maybe we're jus gettin' to be a bunch of ol' pharts..... laff

Nuthin' wrong with that......we can still ride on two or three wheels at a time dance1

I like that.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I love Chinese two strokes so much. I wanna love them to peices. Little bitty peices. Some times even with a hammer. :D

Hey I think I am getting the hang of this? I feel so much better now(^)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I hate when haters hate on haters hating haters.
I hate hating haters hating other haters.
My brain hurts.
And I hate that.