Motorbicycling is good medicine

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I believe it's true that motorbicycling is good medicine. At least it is for me. I have family members, neighbors and friends who don't really understand what I'm doing... building motored bicycles which I don't sell. "How many can you ride?" Just one at a time, but it isn't just about the riding. For me each bike is almost like a child. How many can you give attention to? How many can you love and think about and care for? More than one, that's for sure.

I've tried to explain to a few who I have thought might understand that when I'm in the throes of creative making I enter into a different state of mind and it feels almost like I'm generating light. I feel brighter and more fully present, happier and more positive. From where I am it feels like I'm sending something good out into the world. Even "creative staring", sitting back and just looking at a build is like meditation. It is a different state of mind, a different zone of being.

I know this sounds like twilight zone hippy talk, but maybe you've felt something similar even if you don't talk about it. This morning I read the following article on CNN which I just tried to link to here without success. Bear with me as I leave this machine and go to another to see if it will pull up the link... be right back.
SB

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I think that most people understand the sense of well-being generated by a good hobby. Those who don't recognize the good in this particular hobby must be those who regard motorizing a bicycle as peculiar.

There actually are plenty of folks who think so.

God Bless 'em. But don't let them infect you.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
For some reason the site does not want you to copy and paste it. Two machines... no go. So, I'll type it out. The article is on CNN under health and is entitled, "This Is Your Brain On Crafting".

www.cnn.com/2014/03/25/health-brain-crafting-benefits/indes.html?hpt=hp_bn13

Hopefully, copying it and pasting it from here will work. What a hassle this is trying to share a good article. But it is worth reading...
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bluegoat,
True. This is nothing new really, but gives some "scientific" weight to what we already know. It might help fend off a wife who thinks that since you built one bike now you should be done. Or for me a well meaning brother who thinks I should go into some kind of business building and selling motored bikes and doesn't understand that I don't want to, that it would destroy my fun and turn it into work. Once someone understands that it is "good medicine" maybe we'll get more support and fewer perplexed questions of "what are you doing?"

"I'm generating light and you're dimming me bulb", might not be the best response. Ha!
SB

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"Once someone understands that it is "good medicine" maybe we'll get more support and fewer perplexed questions of "what are you doing?" -SB

Yesss......but I'm afraid it'll be a long time coming.

In a way I mis-spoke above. It's not just motorizing a bicycle that's considered peculiar. For a grown man to be fascinated with bicycles, and to 'waste' time working on them, is also considered peculiar. At least it is in modern America.

When we come up with a bike that is, after all, pretty cool a good number of people are impressed with that. But only a little. And it doesn't last long. They might be more impressed if we drove a sharp car and dressed well and only showed off our motored bike on weekends in cool places. But that's thinking of a nature that is alien to those of us who really love these machines.

One reason why I give very little thought to the idea of building and selling these bikes is the fact that I wouldn't want to deliver one of them to someone who doesn't have somewhere near the same regard for them as I do. I might be able to get over that, I suppose, but there are a few other reasons. And the sum of them is enough for me to not be very enthusiastic about the idea.

Now you're absolutely correct; looking at a bike that would be destined for the dump were it not for us, thinking (sometimes for a while) about what it might become and then making it something more than it would have been is very gratifying. "Good Medicine" is a perfectly apt term. I also get a great, great deal of satisfaction out of using the bike to get to and from work, plus various other destinations, feeling good regardless of the weather. For me, that's even more satisfying than the actual build.

But we're a minority and probably always will be. A awful lot of people just don't 'get it'. And I pity them.

On the other hand, there's nearly an unlimited supply of other hobbies out there. The enthusiasts probably pity us because we 'don't get it'.

And when people are not being silly, then they respect the hobbies of others. Even when they themselves see nothing attractive about it, they understand that it's good for the enthusiast. And I suppose it's because they understand that it's Good Medicine.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
I too am hooked on the creative zone of making/thinking. For many years that was writing music and then I got tired of music. I have returned to my first love, mechanical things. When I was a kid I dreamed of making things, of having the resources to bring those things to life. For me there is nothing finer in life than making things.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I fully agree SB! I DO sell them since I have NO income and must sell one to build another.
After my heart attacks, tinkering with my bike was about ALL I could do and it kept me sane (well, sorta) and the selling part drives me batpoop crazy every single time.
It's like selling a well loved pet to me.
Yes I need the money but I don't have to like it.
I'd keep them ALL and still build more if I could afford to.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Let me think about this for a second......stamp collecting or motorize a bicycle?

Hmmm? Are you kidding me? Building the bikes we build silverbear is the best medicine known to man! Especially for the men that know.

For the most part, most people that see my builds are blown away and almost at a loss for words. To me it's what I love to do and the enjoyment of building and riding these contraptions is all that really matters.

You pegged it silverbear and I refuse to grow up too!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL @ stamp collecting, Scotto. Right!?

SB, I have always pondered this and even more since a post of your's about it not being a "Hobby" for you. Or more then. I don't think I understand my love and consuming desire to make stuff.

This is functional art. But unlike Michelangelo's "David" or "Aphrodite", the material need to fit and function with another part. Not just look like it would. And need to withstand the riggers of road and rider.

No one who does not "get it", ever will. Art is not logical and can not be stated in words or even thought. It is an emotion that manifests it self in the final piece. And we all know they are never "done" Only the "work" abandoned for another.

When lost in thought on a fresh ponderance, you can not feel hate, pain or anger. It is a marathon of good feelin'.

The first hunter who outlined his hand in a cave was doing the same thing. Berry juice, clay, stone or steel. The Human must create.

Not a hobby or obsession. It is the innate and driving force to communicate, build and....

.... I honestly don't know. But I got up at 4:30 am with a really cool springed belt tensioner idea that just can't wait.

.wee.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OT, side note;

SB, I misspelled (mispelled, lol. really did) but could not "paste" proper spelling in Chrome. Switched to firefox and could. Really annoying.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Even though I haven't built multiple bikes (well, as of now....), it's just something I enjoy. If not this, it would be something else that would probably cost me quite a bit more!! This little odd contraption has started more conversations than all the motorcycles combined that I've owned --- and that would be a lot more than one!

I've also found a great community of folks that I would never have 'known' if I hadn't built my bike. Wouldn't trade the entire experience for anything.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"I've also found a great community of folks that I would never have 'known' if I hadn't built my bike. Wouldn't trade the entire experience for anything."--xseler

You're absolutely right about that.

There is one thing about it, though, that I find to be a bit melancholy. I can think of folks from older days who were great company on the forum, but who are no longer anywhere to be found.

Not that I'd advise staying away, or anything like that, because of it. But it's a pity, all the same.

By the way, simply talking about our bikes and getting ideas from others is Good Medicine too.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Even though I haven't built multiple bikes (well, as of now....), it's just something I enjoy. If not this, it would be something else that would probably cost me quite a bit more!! This little odd contraption has started more conversations than all the motorcycles combined that I've owned --- and that would be a lot more than one!

I've also found a great community of folks that I would never have 'known' if I hadn't built my bike. Wouldn't trade the entire experience for anything.
You got that right! These bikes are rare around here, lots of people have never seen one at all. Two different guys, older fellows about 60, have gotten out in the road to flag me down and talk about the bicycle.
Little kids stand there with mouths hanging open, one little girl yelled, "Is that a motorcycle?" real loud. I circled and told her, "No, it's a bicycle" so she shoots back, "No, it's got an engine on it" and we talked for a minute and off I went.
Building stuff is an outlet- I would say the MAB building was as much fun as the adjusting/break in. So many decisions, choices, ways to go.
I've been smiling at it since day one. And what a kick it is when it all comes together and you've created the world's most efficient motor vehicle.
The little 2 stroke is perfect to fit into a bike frame, ain't it?

The only drag is when it's finished, it's all done.
I'm thinking of re-styling it for the spring. I might glom some heavy duty 26" rims (29 now) and put a drum brake hub on the front. Do away with the tank and make one or adapt one to it. I know this guy with a mig welder...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"These bikes are rare around here, lots of people have never seen one at all. Two different guys, older fellows about 60, have gotten out in the road to flag me down and talk about the bicycle."--Slogger

It reminds me of when I built my first one. In the spring of 2008. I believe it was the first one around these parts based on the fact that I had never seen one plus the reaction of the people around here.

It turned every head. Just about literally. One of the first questions I got, from a guy who's jaw was hanging open, was, "Is that an original Harley?"

I can't count the number of times that people asked, "Is that a Whizzer?"

One day a motorcycle turned and parked in a parking lot across the street. As he made his turn I could see the profile. It was a Triumph from the 1960s. So I went over and parked next to him to have a look. As I stopped I said, "Well, I'll be! A classic Triumph!" It was a 750 Bonneville.

The guy was looking down as he pulled off his helmet. His gaze slowly raised as he looked my bike over. Then he looked me in the eye and said, "Nice bike.." That was a proud moment, let me tell you.

Since then these bikes have popped up more and more and now everyone knows just what they are. They don't attract the same attention. I did have a guy a couple of years ago ask, "How old is your bike?" When I said about a year, he looked puzzled. And then he figured it out.

One other thing I've noticed over these six years of MB'ing. Other MBs pop up pretty regularly. But they don't stay. I can think of two guys who I'd see regularly for the better part of a year, a couple of years back. But with most I see them once or twice and then they disappear. I'm sure the reason is that they give up when they realize just how temperamental these things are. They're just not willing to give these bikes the TLC that they demand.

And I think that's kinda a bad thing. Our hobby is attracting people who think they're getting a moped or scooter on the cheap. They don't seem to be the folks who love these bikes just for being what they are. Or who love taking a near-corpse and turning it into a beautiful, and working, machine.

We exist. But we appear to be few in number. And we have (temporary) hangers-on who might not be doing our hobby any favors.

But now I'm in danger of ranting, since I don't have an answer to this problem. But maybe the very temperamentality of these bikes is helpful. Maybe it weeds out those who don't really care.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Mine was 'done' about 2 years ago. However, it's never actually done! Always something to tweek, adjust, upgrade, etc. The gift that keeps on giving!!

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
@Bluegoat
Hardcore bikers (the kind that ride old Triumphs) appreciate any 2 wheeled contrivance that looks like fun. An old Cushman was the hit of a barbecue one time, everyone taking turns going around the lake on it, having a ball.
If there would've been two Cushmans, the racing would have gone on til something broke.

I always rode the heavy iron or fast Japanese multis, one of my favorite motorcycles of all time- A buddy's Honda 90 from the early 60's. Go figure.
That thing would hit about 50 and took a lot of abuse.
A modern company making replica Honda 90 motorcycles would clean up. Just give it a modern CDI and leave the rest alone.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
"One other thing I've noticed over these six years of MB'ing. Other motorized bicycles pop up pretty regularly. But they don't stay. I can think of two guys who I'd see regularly for the better part of a year, a couple of years back. But with most I see them once or twice and then they disappear. I'm sure the reason is that they give up when they realize just how temperamental these things are. They're just not willing to give these bikes the TLC that they demand."
Well said BGW!
People these days crave instant sensation and pushbutton ease.
Nobody wants to take the time to MAKE things anymore, unless they can get rich doing it! Where's the joy in that?
I do sell bikes, but mostly so I can finance more toys.
The true love is in the building, even for hacks like me who can't afford to do things the way I would like.
There are FAR too many rich "builders" who do nothing but attach expensive billet parts to a store bought frame.
I will ALWAYS walk past the billet bullets to look at the crusty old stuff, with parts made in a vise with a file and a grinder and a drill, but more importantly, with real love.
I have MANY other things I SHOULD be spending the little money I have on, but I get more out of the tinkering and bench racing than I ever would out of bolting flawless bilet parts on a megabuck build.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Sorry, not gonna work an any bikes for a while........I've got stamps to collect!

laff laff woof laff :D

Better proceed with caution my friend......'cause once you start the stamp collecting hobby, you'll never be able to lick the habit.

Last edited: