Anyone have an easy fix for this leak?

GoldenMotor.com
May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
I have a mysterious (although minor) leak that's originating from under this bolt:

CIMG0741.JPG

The bolt is torqued down tight and is not bottomed out (I can see roughly 1/16" of unused threads on the other side of the case before the end of the bolt)
It took about 4-5 miles to get to the state seen in the photo. Has anyone had this happen to them and perhaps have a handy dandy hint on alleviating this issue?
This is the only leak on the entire engine so it's kinda driving me nuts.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that's one of the bolts that hold the 2 halves of the case together

use a hand impact driver on them all (three are under the clutch if you can get to them)

it looks like a bit of discoloration along the seam of the case too, so I'd guess several aren't tight

May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
Thanks Nevada, but I've already ruled out the gaskets. It is definitely coming from under where the bolt seats on the case. This is a new Dax engine with less than 75 miles on it and ALL the gasket seams are clean. I'm going to pull the bolt and check the mating surfaces, I have a feeling the bolt may be not quite Kosher. (I emailed Duane about this also, so I'll let you know what his advice is.)
Wishing you all a happy and prosperous New Year!

May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
Thanks a.graham! That's what I'll do.
P.S., I got an email response from Grady at Dax. He said it's normal to have a bit of seepage like this, so no big deal. Better safe than sorry, and it never hurts to ask!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks a.graham! That's what I'll do.
P.S., I got an email response from Grady at Dax. He said it's normal to have a bit of seepage like this, so no big deal. Better safe than sorry, and it never hurts to ask!
No, it is not normal to seep like that.
It isn't hurting anything but it means your case gasket is leaking into the space where that bolt is.

May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
I have some black rtv silicone that I have used successfully on my intake gasket and carb/manifold interface, so I will pull the bolt and put some on the threads and slap it back together. That should do the trick. Thanks for all the advice, folks, I love this site!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If the silicone doesn't fix it, try a dab of ShoeGoo. It's much stronger than silicone.
Be sure to clean and degrease the bolt and threads before sealing it.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
No, it is not normal to seep like that.
It isn't hurting anything but it means your case gasket is leaking into the space where that bolt is.
I agree. If its leaking out air is leaking in. I run a ultra black on every gasket i apply it then almost wipe it off. Especially the top end there is only aprox 2mm of gasket around the jug studs and it leaks into the stud holes if i dont..

May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
I agree. If its leaking out air is leaking in. I run a ultra black on every gasket i apply it then almost wipe it off. Especially the top end there is only aprox 2mm of gasket around the jug studs and it leaks into the stud holes if i dont..
Very true regarding air getting in that tiny space. Fortunately, every seam and gasket on my engine is clean and dry and no air leaks on the intake/cylinder/carburetor interface. I let the silicone repair set up all day yesterday, and I'm going on about a 20 mile trip later today.
I will report in later today to let you all know how it went.
Thanks for all the helpful advice,
Jonny