Engine Identification

GoldenMotor.com

marglar

Dec 30, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hello everyone.

I've wrenched on motorcycles and even scooters for a while now. Bicycle motors are brand new to me.

My daughters boyfriend stuck this engine on his bike and now hopes that I can help him get it running. After poking around the web for a few hours, I can't seem to find any easy way to ID this thing so that I can find some maintenance guides and parts.

Can anyone give me a shove in the right direction? Do you know what kind / size of motor this is? He thinks its a 60cc.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Make sure you put some front brakes on that Huffy!! You don't want to trust just the rear coaster brake on these things......also, make sure you re-grease all the bearings -- especially the wheel bearings.

As for the engine, it most likely is a 48cc or a 66cc. You'll probably need to give the measurements of the cylinder bore to make sure which one it is.

Good luck in the build!!

marglar

Dec 30, 2013
San Diego, CA
Thanks guys. I'm so accustomed to the motorcycle world. Is there a name commonly used for this type of engine? If I were to ask a guy at a store I would say that I need parts for a ___________?

I can pull the head off and measure the bore, no problem.

Thanks again for the help!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Ht, China girl and some that I can't say here! Most of the walk-in stores won't have a clue what you have. These a kinda a specialty type of engine so the vendor or sponcers will be your best bet for parts.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
makes no real diff what engine it is (except power & vibration)

carbs are pretty much the same, ignition is same and clutch adjustment is same

doesn't look new, so I'd mix some 32:1 gas and check for spark as described in so many places here

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It looks like a 66cc. Spend some time on this site reading... there's tons of good info about how to mix the gas & check for spark & get it running right. (^)
There are also many vendors listed here who sell parts for it. :)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys. I'm so accustomed to the motorcycle world. Is there a name commonly used for this type of engine? If I were to ask a guy at a store I would say that I need parts for a ___________?

I can pull the head off and measure the bore, no problem.

Thanks again for the help!
No need to pull the head.
That is a 66cc with a straight plug head.
They are also inaccurately called 80's as a marketing ploy.
Chinese bicycle engine is as descriptive as it gets with about 6 or 7 Chinese "factories"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You won't find any material ( shop manuals) specific to that engine. It might have been sold under a brand name when new but essentially they're all the same. As was said, there are several factories in China that produce that engine. They're all nearly identical and even those made by the same factory might be sold under a different name.
Spend some time reading here, use the search feature and you'll find answers to all your questions.
Basically you need three things: Air, Fuel and a source of ignition. If you're experienced with motorcycles and scooters confirming those three will be easy for you.
Parts are available from most of our sponsors here. Spark plugs and ignition wire is about the only things you'll be able to replace from an auto or motorcycle parts store.
Good luck.

From the photos you provided I'd suggest you tighten the engine drive chain. It needs 1/2" to 3/4" of slack. Yours appears to be drooping a little.

Tom

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Yup its a 66. I can tell just by looking at the transfer port. Also cylinder studs are a big giveaway. The 66 has 8mm stud and the 49 has 6mm the only 66 ive seen w 6mm was a starfire.... parts are everywhere