what plug wire do I get for my 66cc?

GoldenMotor.com

rinodrive

Dec 5, 2013
redding ca.
I've heard people on here say that spark plugs usually don't make the difference. maybe only a slight difference. I see people posting that the spark plug WIRE is what makes the difference. my trouble is, I can't figure out how to replace the spark plug wire it seems to just kind of go inside the distributor box. but it doesn't look like I can take the box apart to replace the spark plug wire. help! What do I do? .shft.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
wire doesn't seem to be really important unless it is old & cracked or otherwise damaged - I replace them because they are too short to reach from where I want to mount them behind the air filter or under the motor

to remove the wire from newer CDI units, you must cut if off near the CDI and CAREFULLY dig out the end that is glued into the CDI with a sharp pick and/or dremel tool without damaging the CDI or the threaded screw sticking up

I get good quality solid core wire here: https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unlimited/spark-plug-wire-011141.p2021.prd/2021.sku

and I also get nice NGK LZFH Spark Plug Caps with zero resistance tthere too

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
The plug matters a lot on these. Anything buy fancy (says the guy with the iridium :D) or stock.

I personally replaced my crap stock wire with a Bosch wire I had left over from my truck and I immediately noticed it idled smoother and pulled smoother throughout the entire rev range.

huffypower

Jan 26, 2014
carrollton, Mo
I thought I read on this fourm that digging out the wire from the CDI is pretty simple and can be done in shot time. bullsheiot! lol. my cheap stock plastic parkplug cap fell apart last week. planning on completely yearling bike down and redoing it cuz someone else slapped it together. ie...rear engine mount is bolted over the top of the Allen screw for the water bottle holder..

anyway, want to relocate the CDI with the rebuild so I ordered some sweet 7 mm copper core wire that is yellow with red and black threads In it that will look awesome. I spent 4 hours last night digging the old wire out of the CDI using a xacto knife, pocket knife and a dremel with a tiny ball end. took a long time to dig it all out. need to have patience when it comes to doing this.

also the deeper you go the more carefully you have to be getting between the screw and the plastic housing. seen on a fourm where someone busted the plastic all up. wont affect performance but I want it to look good withe that weren't new wire that's in the mailzpt

huffypower

Jan 26, 2014
carrollton, Mo
Sorry for the misspellings. darn phone, can't see what I'm typing and auto correct sucks. lol

as I understand and makes good sence, try to get a solid core plug wire. moderen automotive wire will work but is made of carbon and will have more resistance. solid core wire is still made specifically for magnificent applications but may not be found at auto parts stores

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yep, it can be difficult - I use a set of jewelers screwdrivers for much of it and my poor, old arthritic hands suffer quite a bit by the time I'm done

still hoping some kind soul will discover a good solvent for that glue and post it here

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless the kit wire is too short, as crassius said, there really is no advantage to replacing it. As I've posted many times before, the kit wire is at least metallic core where by comparison most ignition wire you'll find at auto parts stores today will be resistance wire. Resistance = less voltage to the plug. Why change good wire for one with higher resistance with our weak little ignition systems?

It is a very common myth that the kit wire is inferior. Unless, as was mentioned above, the insulation is cracked and the current is arcing to ground, the wire that is on the CDI is good. I do subscribe to replacing the kit spark plug and especially the boot, but not the wire.
I do replace it but the reason is I mount the CDI further from the engine/downtube and the kit wire is always too short but I replace it with copper core ignition wire as Venice suggested.

Tom

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
the old wire actually screws into the cdi. u twist the wire counter clock wise to unscrew the wire . when u get the wire off you will see a screw there make sure its good and clean and screw the new wire clockwise back onto that screw it will actually screw back into place tight . the boot that comes with the kit also unscrews the same way also

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
the old wire actually screws into the cdi. u twist the wire counter clock wise to unscrew the wire . when u get the wire off you will see a screw there make sure its good and clean and screw the new wire clockwise back onto that screw it will actually screw back into place tight . the boot that comes with the kit also unscrews the same way also
The wire does screw out, but the Chinese factories are now using 'super glue' to hold the wires into the CDI cases... (that's why we're all having to dig the old wire out). :(

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Guts of the boot fell out. Ordered a new one from SBP. In the meantime, I couldn't find the nipple I took off the new plug I got a while back, but found an old plug and took the nipple off of it and screwed it on. Boot is not very snug but it runs for now. Just hope when the new wire arrives I can get the old one off without anything snapping.

doktor

Jan 24, 2014
Saskatoon, Canada
7 mm plug wire fits the factory cdi I have found. I use non resistor cloth covered wire. As previously stated resistor wire and plug caps decrease spark output. My 2 cents