Meh all

GoldenMotor.com

MehMan

Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
Hello I'm MehMan and well I don't own a is it MB? yet but I'm REALLY looking into it, but I'm unsure about Ohio laws and how MB stand with them. So if anyone, ANYONE could give me a hand and tell me if I could put a motor on my bike and drive it that would be great. (I've read one thing some where and another thing some where else and my head hurts) so just a yes, no answer would be nice.

now for my MB I'm going to be using my bike (not even a year old owned) which is a 10 speed as for my motor I found a 50cc 4 stroke motor online which looks really good. Now I'm added everything up and I'm looking at about $300-$340. (the motor is on sale cool huh? and free shipping(^)) I have all my ducks in a row I just now need to know about how Ohio stands with MB's

also glad to be here!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can build a good thatsdax or other kit for 120 shipped....

In Ohio, we have the usual problems with the BMV not knowing what to tell people and giving different answers.

The bottom line is they ARE NOT legal to ride in Ohio, unless you buy the "approved moped" model from Wildfire.

Having said that I will say this- I have ridden a couple thousand miles on Ohio state, county, township ans city roads with no problems. The police usually don't even notice.

MehMan

Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
well as long as it a "helper motor" not bigger then 50cc (from what i've read) it's fine and no no the kit is only $140 (also free shipping) by "added things up" I ment EVERYTHING i would need (turn lights, brake lights, head lights, mirror, helmet)

MehMan

Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
thanks! also just to be save I'm going to call the BMV and ask (better safe then sorry) from what I've read I've meet everything they ask for a moped or MB. I've also talked to 2 others guys here in the chat and they said I would be fine.

MehMan

Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
will do I'm not going to even get the motor till I get my facts in line, both me and my dad (he could fix or work on anythng) think it will be fine, also nice to meet another person from Ohio.

Last edited:

MehMan

Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
the seat goes up ALOT so I'm thinking under it (had my uncle look at my idea said it will work) so I'm going on that idea right now

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
MEHMAN, WELCOME. YOU MAY WANT TO READ MORE ON THIS FORUM. THAT BICYCLE WOULD BE GOOD FOR A GOLDEN EAGLE BELT DRIVE, A REAR RACK CHAIN DRIVE, OR A FRICTION DRIVE. THE KITS YOU ARE LOOKING AT (CHINA GIRL=CG ALSO CALLED HAPPY TIME=HT) ARE THE LOWEST PRICED AND MAYBE THE MOST POPULAR. BUT YOUR BIKE =NOT FOR THE INFRAME KITS. YOU CAN BUY A BETTER STYLE FRAME "STEEL FRAME" VERY CHEAP. CRAIGSLIST (LOCALLY) GARAGE SALES, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. I JUST BOUGHT 10 COMPLETE BICYCLES FOR 25 DOLLARS, LOTS OF FLAT TIRES, DIFFERENT SIZES, MOSTLEY SHIFTERS. THEY ARE GREAT FUN TO BUILD AND RIDE. GOOD LUCK. RON .bf..boogy1adaxtit.ride9 PS - DAX HAS A VERY GOOD REPUTATION, HE WILL HELP YOU.

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi; a good place to start is to study the pictures here. you dont have to reinvent the wheel. also read alot. then ask pointed questions. we can and will help. good luck.

MehMan

Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
well first I thought under the seat but my dad said I should put it on the frame on the back wheel also this is the kit I'm lookin at 50cc bicycle engine kits EPA Certified

and well a new bike is just can't be done (this one hasn't even been owned for a year) so ya

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
it's gonna take a little work to mount that on the rear of the bike, as it's made for in-frame. it can be done, just takes a lot of work. I think there is a bike with that motor on the back on zbox.com.au.....

Best bet would be find a cheap mountain bike without a rear suspension on craigslist or a thrift store. You can probably find something for 20-30 bucks and it'll be a heck of a lot easier to mount the motor to.

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
welcome to the forum MehMan. I have the same next bike. There`s really no room for the Happy Time on that frame. I thought about mounting one myself. I also wouldn`t trust the welds on that frame; too much vibration. Also the wheel bearings are too poor of quality and the brakes as well.

To ride the Next as a bike, I had to replace the brake pads and line. Then replace the seat(comfort issue) as well as the inner tubes. Its really the frame you`re buying for $80 on the next. Everything else seemed to fall apart. Next and the Happy time motor are similar chinese manufactured products in the sense that both factories have learned where to skimp on quality to offer a more competitive price. You`d be alot safer on a frame of better quality in my opinion.