Motor wont start..

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Well my motor is pretty new with less than 100 miles and for the past couple of days i couldnt get my motor to start.. i changed the spark plug, changed the spark plug boot and i jus switched over to 32:1 which i rode wit that mix for a couple miles. Tried messing with the choke but nothing. Im thinking maybe my cdi is bad or maybe my magneto but i dont have a tester. i dont know if i should buy a new cdi or magneto or both or if i should jus go ahead and buy a new 2 stroke motor so i can actually mount the motor propperly on the bike..

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Well my motor is pretty new with less than 100 miles and for the past couple of days i couldnt get my motor to start.. i changed the spark plug, changed the spark plug boot and i jus switched over to 32:1 which i rode wit that mix for a couple miles. Tried messing with the choke but nothing. Im thinking maybe my cdi is bad or maybe my magneto but i dont have a tester. i dont know if i should buy a new cdi or magneto or both or if i should jus go ahead and buy a new 2 stroke motor so i can actually mount the motor propperly on the bike..
take spark plug out of motor, hook up to boot and sit it on top while
pushing bike, you should see the spark if there is one, night time is best time to do this.
hope it helps

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you were running 16:1 like the book says, your plug is probably fouled. Remove and clean or replace the plug and then check for spark like Desert Rat said.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you sound kind of frustrated with it - stop for a couple days and go after it fresh

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have a special stick I use when all else fails.
But its a VERY special stick, passed down through generations of chinese engine mechanics and infused with ancient chinese secret engine-fu powers.
Do not attempt this with any ordinary stick.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I have a special stick I use when all else fails.
But its a VERY special stick, passed down through generations of chinese engine mechanics and infused with ancient chinese secret engine-fu powers.
Do not attempt this with any ordinary stick.
You did say stick, yes? that must be one special stick LOL:)

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Two important tools you should have is a DMM (Digital Multimeter) and a torque wrench. You can buy a DMM for $5.00 and a torque wrench for $20.00 at Harbor Freight. Look at a garage sale for tools and you can find a torque wrench for less.

You made a comment in your original post about mounting your engine properly in your bike. What did you mean by that? Is your engine not currently mounted correctly? The carburetor should be level as possible.

Here's a couple guides to help in no-start situations:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/2 cycle engine trouble shooting guide.html

If you don't have the ability to read Googledocs, here's another guide from the other forum:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?34942-What-EVERY-NOOB-needs-to-read

Disconnect your kill switch to see if it will start - sometimes they are defective. Also, try staring without the gas cap, as sometimes they are not vented.

Hopefully, you didn't ride it in the rain or leave it sitting in the rain to get wet. This will cause rust to develop on the ignition coil/magneto and cause starting problems.

Make sure the spark plug wire is securely attached to the CDI.

Make sure no bare wires are touching the frame and that all electrical connections are secure.

Last, try to start it with a little starting fluid or a few drops of fuel into the spark plug hole and then put the plug back in and try starting.

Buying parts to see if the problem goes away is an expensive way to problem solve. Buy the proper tools as I mentioned earlier and you'll end up money ahead.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Two important tools you should have is a DMM (Digital Multimeter) and a torque wrench. You can buy a DMM for $5.00 and a torque wrench for $20.00 at Harbor Freight. Look at a garage sale for tools and you can find a torque wrench for less.

You made a comment in your original post about mounting your engine properly in your bike. What did you mean by that? Is your engine not currently mounted correctly? The carburetor should be level as possible.

Here's a couple guides to help in no-start situations:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/2 cycle engine trouble shooting guide.html

If you don't have the ability to read Googledocs, here's another guide from the other forum:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?34942-What-EVERY-NOOB-needs-to-read

Disconnect your kill switch to see if it will start - sometimes they are defective. Also, try staring without the gas cap, as sometimes they are not vented.

Hopefully, you didn't ride it in the rain or leave it sitting in the rain to get wet. This will cause rust to develop on the ignition coil/magneto and cause starting problems.

Make sure the spark plug wire is securely attached to the CDI.

Make sure no bare wires are touching the frame and that all electrical connections are secure.

Last, try to start it with a little starting fluid or a few drops of fuel into the spark plug hole and then put the plug back in and try starting.

Buying parts to see if the problem goes away is an expensive way to problem solve. Buy the proper tools as I mentioned earlier and you'll end up money ahead.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Thanks for the post! I def have the tools which is how I managed to install the motor onto the frame, but I dont have the DMM. I would need to go and pick that up. Also when I bought the motor (without any knowledge of universal mounting kits) it would not fit on the frame properly in the front, sooo what I did was grind down the dip to a little wider to fit the frame and drilled me in some new bolt holes. Well one of the bolts had ripped out because it wasn't deep enough so I took so metal wrap with holes? and wrapped the motor into place with of course the back end secured with the bolts. The motor doesn't budge at all so Im fine with that but if I could redo the mounting part I would totally go for it after gaining more knowledge wit these bike motors. I think tomorrow Im going to try and see if I can get a spark from the spark plug by touching the cylinder wall as was posted above and I'll go from there or get a DMM to test out the polarity of the wires.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Should i be getting oil/gas mix in the magneto area? the wrapped portion of the magneto is black from throil/gas mix. Got my buddies bike in the basement so im going to be swapping out parts to see which one has failed on me. ill report back!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You got a bad crank seal. You basically have two options. You can take the engine apart (split the crankcase) and replace the bad seal. Or you can replace the engine. Its up to you, but the engine won't run the way it is.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
DO NOT SPLIT THE CASE!!
The crankshaft seals are replaced from the outside.
The one behind the magneto rotor (magnet) is the easiest. Remove the rotor and carefully pry the seal out with small sharp tool. New seals are available here from most of the sponsors. The thin one goes behind the magneto, the thicker one behind the small gear on the right side of the engine.
There are many threads here with detailed instructions on replacing crankshaft seals.

Tom

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
oh dont worry, im just gonna go ahead and buy me a new motor so i can do this the right way. old motor i full throttled it and had the motor mounted not correctly so starting new and fresh is better. Question now is, which company to buy a motor from? i see skyhawks which is the only other motor i know or should i go with a more performance motor since im gonna be doing bolt ons anyways to go faster. Love modifications