building bikes for other people

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Anyone here building bikes as a business?
Do you have any liability waivers?
What about as far as legality on roads etc.
I'm thinking about getting into the game a little and wondering what kind of preparation i need paperwork and legal wise.
I made business cards because so many people have been asking me questions i figure i can get some money out of it.

Nov 20, 2012
Chicago
I build a few but its small time. I go as paper less as possible. Just sell it on craigslist. I feel if I gave out cards it would make me liable. I just sell them the same way someone would sell a used moped so I dont have any liability. People are idiots and I dont want to be held accountable for their stupidity.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I just sell them "as is".
I don't have a storefront, just sell out of the backyard.
Everyone likes them but sales are spotty and I'm in a metro area.
Your results may vary.
Keep in mind, you are not selling YOUR product, just assembling existing stuff.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I prefer to do repairs as there are a LOT of guys building in this area - in summer I haven't time to build with all the crap those guys are sending out the door : (

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Running a business involves a lot more than just building bikes. To be successful at it you must advertise. You're then held accountable for what you put in your ads. Therefore one should be insured and bonded. Avoid using phrases like "Street Legal" as the laws vary greatly from state to state and country to country.

Still customers will be wanting to know if your product can be used legally on the public roadways in their area. So you should become familiar with the laws of the areas you plan to sell to.

You'll also need some bookkeeping and basic accounting skills. Therefore I suggest taking some business courses. I've got a bachelors of science degree in business. I hope this helps. One can lose everything if they don't know how to operate a business.