Big v. Little Wheel Going Off Curb

GoldenMotor.com
When a bike hits a bump going up, say a curb, clearly, the bigger the wheel: the less pronounced the jolt to the rider. Or more correctly, the upward acceleration is less rapid with a larger wheel.
(As an illustration of this concept, consider a very large wheel and a very small wheel as they encounter a curb. A very large wheel would move to the higher altitude of the top of the curb, but the transition would occur over a distance, and, consequently, over a time. The very small wheel would also have to move to the higher altitude, but over a shorter distance and time. )

But what about going down off a curb? Does a large wheel confer any advantage in that situation?

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
roll off a sidewalk thats flat sided on roller skates or a skateboard and you'll have your answer.bf.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
everytime i go off curbs i pull a little wheelie and drop off it. only difference i've ever noticed is a bike with smaller wheels is usually lighter and easier to pull up on.

i wouldn't recommend jamming up curbs on any size bike.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Riding off a curb, the larger diameter wheel will provide a slower RATE of descent (movement). That is why motocross bikes have a 21 inch front wheel (vice 18 inch front wheel).
The advantage of smaller diameter wheels is better cornering and lateral maneuverability (like a 150cc scooter).
Both small and large diamter wheels have advantages and disadvantages.