UK Laws.. Ways around ? Stealth/discuise

GoldenMotor.com

greggbell31

Nov 23, 2012
Liverpool, UK
I have been considering buying an 80cc engine for my cycle off of eBay.. Just a cheap chines one to begin with.

I would like to use the cycle for commuting predominantly but here in the UK you need to have registered a cycle and need a licence insurance tax etc.

I'm looking to see advice on making the bike less conspicuous.

What options do I have?

I was thinking that possibly silencing the exhaust/intake enough so that if any police were around they wouldn’t notice the loud noise and assume you were a cyclist.

Or building a box to cover the engine so that it looks like an electric cycle?

Another option I just thought about was buying a rear rack mounted engine, again silencing it as much as possible but then 'disguising' the engine with some modified panniers to house the engine. (With sufficient air inlets to keep it cool.

Has this done before?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Bad idea. You risk fines and confiscation if caught. I know it bites, but you would be better off doing it legal. Just my opinion.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I suggest you look at the build thread of Dougy. He's in Southport and put his motorised bike through SVA. It's not as hard as people think, you really need to just make a motorcycle that will pass an MOT.

This is the latest VOSA SVA sheet I could find, and most of it won't apply to you. If you have it below 50cc it's a bit easier, and if you accept a restriction on speed and output, easier still.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MSVA 2010 .pdf

Queries should be directed to Chris Corker at this email.

[email protected]

No stealth measures are going to effectively disguise the bike, and if you have an accident on an uninsured/untaxed/unlicenced machine and you survive, the courts will bounce up and down on you.

This bloke's been there and done it as well.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0497.htm

And LEDs are ok for lighting if they do the job.