Silverbears Bicycle Camp.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hard believe that this years bicycle camp is fast getting to the end. I'll begin the long journey home at the end of this month joyfully leaving bundles of cash at gas stations across half of America.
I do mean joyfully too. Gas is about a $1.50 a gallon cheaper than it is in Canada.

It's been a pretty relaxed summer this year. Last year was hectic to say the least with all the builds we did so this year we agreed that it was going to be limited to eating, naps and boat rides with bikes placed in between to remind us just why we're here.
It was a splendid plan and I must say it worked flawlessly. Can't say enough about Silverbears excellent cooking. Absolutely first rate.

The sidecar that was on the Hiawatha that will now be the tri-car build is on the American Flyer/ Panther. I had planned the mounts to go from one bike to another but wandered around muttering for a day or so before plunging into doing it.
Silverbear wanted to be able to remove the sidecar so he could transport it and have the frame so anything to do with the sidecar mount was removable.

The mounts that I made were not made to be removed easily so it was come up with something that could be removed in 20 minutes or less. I believe my comment was something along the lines of "Great! and where do you want me to move the F'n mountain outside while I'm at it?"

Once into solving the problem the top rear and the down tube mounts did indeed fit without any problems and I clamped a plate on the chain stay with two pieces of heavy walled 1" tubing welded to the top and bottom and a piece welded to the sidecar mount that slide into the middle and a length of 3/4" cold rolled round bar slid down into the middle of them to hold it all in place.
Drilled a hole in the top end of the bar and bent some heavy wire for a handle to pull it up with and slid it into the hole at the top of the pin and welded it up.

If you look at the pin in a door hinge you will see what I built.

The front part of mount that went to the down tube was made so it could be moved back and forth on a rod on the sidecar frame and in and out where it met the down tube. It locked down with bolts. This is now welded solid since it will only be on this bike. Added a piece of tubing to act as a stop on the back side of the rod coming into the down tube and a locking collar on the outside to hold it in place.

Silverbear has posted how we mounted the Villiers motor in the Elgin but it went a lot easier than I had planned for. Bike camp was shaping up pretty nicely. :)

Now we are on to getting the Hiawatha/ tri-car started and Silverbear will have additions to his thread in the next day or two.

That's it from my end. Thanks for staying with me to the end of this.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I should add that using the Creative Staring Program taught by the old master himself we do move mountains at Silverbears Bicycle Camp in the Birches by the Lake.

Steve.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It sounds like alot of fun!
If I ever win the lottery and can afford a camping trip that far away, I would like to attend a similar Bicycle Camp some day.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sure wish I could have made it up but family comes first. Maybe next year, if the good Lord be willin' and the creak don't rise. I was looking forward to seeing you guys but, hey, a year at our age will go by pretty darn fast. Just hope the in-laws don't sell the cabin before then. Thanks for the invite.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tough day today. Looked the Hiawatha over to see how to go about doing the front end, then in the lake for a swim and then off to attend a fish fry that we had been invited to at the home of a husband and wife bush pilot team. They each have a float plane and we hear them take off 3 or 4 times a day.

Did our duty and sucked up as much food as possible and then home for a power nap. Great part about being old is you can nap anytime you like and no one acts like it's odd. As a matter of fact they think it's funny if you don't.

Silverbear has the Elgin gearing worked out with Alemans help and parts are about to be ordered.

Hiawatha tri-car build starts tomorrow in earnest. Silverbear will have photos as it moves along and that should be fairly quickly since I've done mine and have a lot of the creative staring out of the way.

The fun begins when I try to remember just how I did mine. %^&&*$# old age. It's only good for naps.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just saw this. Yes, it's been a good summer. Our pledge for next year's summer camp is for even less bike building, with more riding around, hopefully on our Indian tri-cars. We also intend to have the pontoon cabin boat launched so that some night walleye fishing can lead to some good eating. I'm starting a thread on the pontoon cabin boat enterprise in a few minutes in a thread called "Boat Buoys". The plan is for three alternate sources of power... the 40 hsp Mercury on it right now for emergencies, a modified Grumman canoe sail rig for when the wind co-operates, and a 173cc air-cooled Predator engine mated to the lower unit of a 1960's ten hsp Evinrude long shaft outboard. That will be used for normal cruising and trolling. It'll be different, for sure. I may call it the "Huck Finn".

Gearnut, if you can make it up this way, please do. Tom, we're counting on you next summer. I'm hoping to talk Tinsmith into a visit. Maybe Curtis Fox can bust loose from Brainerd, Mn for some bike riding up this way. Any of the rest of you, if you find yourself in the area next summer, drop us a PM. Bike riding doesn't get much better than the run out to Bearhead State Park.
SB