Salvaged 50cc

GoldenMotor.com

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.
Acquired this 50cc pull/electric start motor and now looks like it's time for another el'cheapo bicycle to tinker with. Good compression, don't know about spark and all controls are with it but no fuel tank. Not sure if it's premix or oil injected... but at least got some time to figure it out. May be a bit wide to do an in-frame conversion. Maybe a back rack mount?

Looks to be from a small crotch rocket type bike.

Attachments

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I would look up the carburetor on it for more information (like whether it is really a 50cc or not). You can test for spark easily. Get 2 battery clips and heavy wire, so you can unscrew the plug, and ground the plug to the motor. keep all fumes and fuel away. Pull it and see if a visible spark appears.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Acquired this 50cc pull/electric start motor and now looks like it's time for another el'cheapo bicycle to tinker with. Good compression, don't know about spark and all controls are with it but no fuel tank. Not sure if it's premix or oil injected... but at least got some time to figure it out. May be a bit wide to do an in-frame conversion. Maybe a back rack mount?

Looks to be from a small crotch rocket type bike.
I have one exactly like that I am intending to throw at some sort of pusher/trailer setup eventually...I love the electric start! No more rope blisters if the damn thing don't wanna act right.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Looks like a Chinese pocket rocket motor because of the electric start and reduction gearbox. I have one just like it that I am trying to get running. If I suceed, I will use it for a friction drive motor bike.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i have had many of these little motors! they come in 33cc aswell with red plastic, yours has a different gear box then mine ever had though,

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Cool. Join my friction drive fan club.

PS if you already have the gearbox, call ThatsDax, and see if it can work with his chain drive rack kit. That's a good way to get around too, esp if you have a powerful motor.

Looks like a Chinese pocket rocket motor because of the electric start and reduction gearbox. I have one just like it that I am trying to get running. If I suceed, I will use it for a friction drive motor bike.

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.
Cool. Join my friction drive fan club.

PS if you already have the gearbox, call ThatsDax, and see if it can work with his chain drive rack kit. That's a good way to get around too, esp if you have a powerful motor.
Yea, not sure what I'll do with it yet as it's still sitting on the bench in the same spot. Was thinking an in-frame if there's clearance but it looks really wide. Probably end up with a rear mount chain drive eventually or on a trike.

Kinda got real busy at work and my side job, which means $$$ so first things first!

H.R. huffinstuff

Jan 27, 2012
Puyallup, WA
what you have there is a generic pocket-bike/stand on scooter motor, the carb is a clone of a walbro WYK-58 barrel carb, the exhaust is an x- can clone, you got lucky and got one with no gear reduction, pm any questions, or post em up here

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yea, that tiny chain won't hold up more than a few feet. I know from experience. Built a pusher with that chain. Got to the end of the driveway before it broke...