Engine Question

GoldenMotor.com

lego2build

Jan 9, 2012
Maryland
Hello,

I am trying to find a 2 stroke engine for a bike I am building. A lot of the places on line that sell engines don't seem to give much information when purchasing the engine. I am interested in a 49cc engine and will need to know the max engine hp, max engine torque, max engine kW, and max RPM. It seems that most sites only give the 49cc spec and I wanted to know if anyone on here had any suggestions for where to look or purchase.

Thank you!

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
i ordered a grubee from gasbike.net. it seems they had the best prices, and the option to upgrade the carb. grubee is on of the better brands than the more generic ones. the crank has less milling lines in it, indicating that they take more time and use better tools in the manufacturing process. the starfire is good 49cc and it has a cast iron cylinder(that's a good thing). don't get the super rat, all i hear of them is that they are bad and it's hard to find parts. gasbike.net also has a good warranty (30 days return, 90 days repair). try to find a better one with these engines! all the 2 strokes are nearly the same in performance. 49cc gets more speed, 66 get more torque. the numbers aren't very important, but i think a good brand (grubee) will give you better performance too.

one more thing- if you have a problem with the bike, the phone# on their website doesn't get you to a real person. message me if you need to call them, i have the # somewhere.

Last edited:

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
If you go with a higher quality engine, like a Morini, you can find that kind of info. If you are going for a 49cc China Doll, then they are all basically the same. I got mine( a 66cc) from ThatsDax, because of the tech support. '
Duane (happily)helped me out a few times on my first build.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
bear in mind that with a 49cc you will have to start pedeling assist halfway up and the same with a strong headwind..
if i have to do that much 'pedel assist' why do i want a motor???? lol
the 66/80 will pull any hill in town and you dont have to pedel against the wind....
you will get a little less gas milage but not that bad....

my opinion

stay dry
gubba

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
"There is no replacement for Displacement" Get the 66cc...it's well worth it and nobody will know the true size unless you tell them.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
im here in ireland i have a 26 inch mountain bike what engine would be best for me
I am not sure if you are looking at only china 2-stroke motors? If so, in Ireland you might have more options than most of us on the forum from the USA. The US EPA restrictions make it costly to certify motors for sale in the US, while other countries are not so restrictive (not sure where Ireland stands on this). If you can get a StarFire engine instead of a SkyHawk I would go for it, they are made in a factory (in China) that has a better reputation for quality and should have the option of a steel lined cylinder (which SkyHawks do not). I wish I could get a StarFire but they are not available in the USA currently due to lack of EPA certification, though I have been told they sell in most other countries currently....