Cheap way to repair exhaust leaks?

GoldenMotor.com

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Is there any cheap and lasting way to repair exhaust leaks on the side of the exhaust?
I've heard of putties, muffler weld compounds, and tapes that melt and harden and then seal, but read bad reviews. Those reviews were from people that applied them on cars.

What about on small engine exhausts? Will it hold?
What is the temperature of a pocket bike exhaust?

If you have any experience with that stuff please reply.

Last edited:

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.
The temperature will depend on where the leak is at. If a crack in the weld at near the manifold, hotter. Have a thermal temperature gun and will have to shoot my exhaust to find out. Not sure how a perforation in the pipe would be properly sealed but have you considered an exhaust wrap? JB Weld?

I imagine a crack could be simply wire welded to seal it but it probably would not be pretty. Thinking that a perforation due to corrosion I'd just wrap it or replace the muffler as they are not too expensive.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
I tried JB Weld before on a different application of exhaust and it failed. JB-Weld cannot withstand more than 500F compared to the exhaust compounds that can withstand 800-1500F.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Replace it or if you don't have a welder, have it welded. No glue or repair stuff is going to hold. Devcon makes a product that can withstand temperatures close to 900 degrees but it will cost more than a new muffler. Not a cost effective idea.
Tom

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
The exhaust came like that brand new.
Welder? I hope it does not explode due to the fuel deposits in it lol.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Unless they're really uptight w/minimum charges for shop labor time - most auto repair/exhaust shops/whatever will weld such a small repair for just a coupla bucks, prolly less than what you'd spend on the "putties, muffler weld compounds, and tapes" in any case.

The trick of it is to pull the exhaust off the motor & prep the area to be welded thoroughly (remove all paint/rust/oily deposits) & wander over to the shop, show the guy the repair needed and ask him directly what it may cost, whenever they get a chance (not the counter flunkies, they tend to be clueless lol).

It's the cleanup/prep they hate, as well as "awkward" positions (still on the bike) - if it's all ready to go and all they need do is ground it & zot & you can wait till they're welding something else anyway - it'll be super cheap ;)