TANAKA PF3300 or standard 80cc HT bicycle engine?

GoldenMotor.com

alecwhardy

Oct 9, 2011
Stockton
I am looking for an engine for my bike. Here are my requirements:

1) Can't be too loud
2) Engine must last at least 2-3 years (twice-a-week use, no more than 20 miles at a time).
3) Must travel around 25 - 35 MPH
4) Must be removable (In around a 2-3 hour time frame)

I have been looking online, and recently I came across the DAX offer for a Tanaka PF3300 engine and a standard friction drive for $320. The standard HT engines are all around $220.

Is the Tanaka PF3300 worth $100 extra?
Are the friction-drive mounts (DAX) any good? Do the engines stick out of the side alot?
Can I buy an additional gas tank for the Tanaka kit?

OR is the HT kit better. (Will it stand up to around 2-3 years).

How much louder is the HT kits than the tanaka.

This is my first build so please give me some guidance. thanks!
dance1

Last edited:

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Re: TANAKA PF3300 or standard 80cc HT engine?

I'm not sure a HT could stand 1 1/2 years. The tanaka is a MUCH higher quality engine that will love you long time. Spend the extra hunnerd. The HT is pretty loud, because of the bad gears. However, exhaust wise, it is probably going to be te same, as you can just make a pipe for either motor.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

The Tanaka will be much more reliable and last you those 2-3 years. Just change the oil every so often. The HT engine can also last that long but only if you get lucky will it be without much maintenance like replacement of badly designed parts/gaskets.

1) All these small engines will be mostly loud but the tanaka will be much quieter than the HT. 4 strokes are generally always quieter than 2 strokes.
2) Tanaka is better, HT is not ruled out but less likely to last as long
3) Both will travel that fast. 44 tooth sprocket seems right, which is what comes with the HT kit
4) Both are removable pretty quickly. The Tanaka probably more so, I think they are easier to put together and take off. Don't quote me on it though.

Tanaka is more money because it is a higher quality engine. Mounts above the rear wheel so balance my seem a little weird till you get used to it.
Friction drive is good, but not as good as using a chain. You can actually use a chain with the friction drive kit though, ask DAX about it I think that's who I saw does it. Idk how much the engines stick out. Depends on the kit I'm sure.

Can get as many gas tanks as you want but will have to be above the current tank and will require a little enginuity. Could just keep a seperate gas tank on the side of the bike like the flat military ones.

The tanaka may have less power from the get go though I think. Mainly because it is a 4 stroke and fires half as much.

I'm still a newbie at this but that's what I have learned. Whether it is correct or not I'm pretty sure it is right..

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

Tanaka is a 2 stroke.

The Tanaka will be much more reliable and last you those 2-3 years. Just change the oil every so often. The HT engine can also last that long but only if you get lucky will it be without much maintenance like replacement of badly designed parts/gaskets.

1) All these small engines will be mostly loud but the tanaka will be much quieter than the HT. 4 strokes are generally always quieter than 2 strokes.
2) Tanaka is better, HT is not ruled out but less likely to last as long
3) Both will travel that fast. 44 tooth sprocket seems right, which is what comes with the HT kit
4) Both are removable pretty quickly. The Tanaka probably more so, I think they are easier to put together and take off. Don't quote me on it though.

Tanaka is more money because it is a higher quality engine. Mounts above the rear wheel so balance my seem a little weird till you get used to it.
Friction drive is good, but not as good as using a chain. You can actually use a chain with the friction drive kit though, ask DAX about it I think that's who I saw does it. Idk how much the engines stick out. Depends on the kit I'm sure.

Can get as many gas tanks as you want but will have to be above the current tank and will require a little enginuity. Could just keep a seperate gas tank on the side of the bike like the flat military ones.

The tanaka may have less power from the get go though I think. Mainly because it is a 4 stroke and fires half as much.

I'm still a newbie at this but that's what I have learned. Whether it is correct or not I'm pretty sure it is right..

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA

The Tanaka is a good quality engine. I have ridden mine for more than 5000 miles (up to 120 miles in a day) without a single breakdown. It is not too loud and has low vibration. Top speed is just over 30 mph on the flat.

I use the GEBE system, which is expensive but works very well. It can be removed or re-installed in about 30 minutes if you set it up for easy removal/installation. I have added an auxillary gas tank which gives a range of about 80 miles without refueling.