how hard should it be to pedal?

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
In the final stages of putting my CG together, & this is how it's going:

Clutch lever not pulled in = no chance of turning the pedals.
Clutch lever puled in = quite a bit of resistance & some noise, but the pedals turn.

I haven't started it yet, but it doesn't seem like I'll ever be able to ride it as a normal bike. Since this is my 1st build, I can tell if it's normal.....is it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"quite a bit of resistance & some noise, but the pedals turn. "

It's hard to compare your description to what we feel is normal. There will always be some parasitic drag induced on your ability to pedal due to the extra friction of the drive chain/sprockets and the engine's cross shaft, bearings and clutch rotation. Even with a properly adjusted clutch you will feel a difference/resistance. Suspend the rear wheel and with the clutch lever pulled in you should be able to spin the wheel freely but there will be drag and noise that you won't have without the drive chain installed.
Good luck, ride safe.
Tom

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You will need to adjust all but a tiny bit of slack out of the clutch cable for it to pedal fairly easily. The best way to fine tune this is to keep taking slack out one turn at a time and try to start it. When you get to where the clutch starts to slip instead of turning over the motor, Take out one full turn of the adjuster. and try it there to see that it doesn't slip under max engine power.

They pedal easier after the clutch is worn in some.

They pedal easier if the lever is pulled all the way to the bar instead of where the button locks it.

Put a dab of grease on yer primary gear once in a while. Don't help wit peddelin', just a good thing to do.