How to attach clutch arm to camshaft?

GoldenMotor.com

inky13112

Jun 19, 2011
Texas
Had to get a new clutch arm and camshaft. Now that they've arrived, I cannot figure out how to attach them. Clearly the splined end of the camshaft goes with the corresponding part of the arm, but they don't seem to fit very well at all. I tried lightly hammering them together, but don't want to apply to much force and risk damaging them before finding out if I'm doing something totally wrong.

So what is the correct way to attach them? Am I missing some special tool or technique? Or should I just use more force?

Included a very low quality picture, just in case that somehow helps.

Thanks.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
it should be able to be hammered on mybe a sloppy casting or defect part

i made my own clutch arm thingy from 2 bolts som grinding and welding

Andybm514

Jun 18, 2011
Wilmington, nc
hey inky. i just ordered my arm and camshaft from king's mb. did you ever find out how to attach them without damaging the parts? my original parts got stripped or something to where i couldnt disengage the clutch, it would just slip on the camshaft. any info would help and if i come to figure out then ill post my solution for future reference.

Wild alaska: im thinkin maybe put the camshaft into a vice then tamping the arm down?? sound bout right? thanks guys

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I usually put the cam into the cover & tighten it down without the arm, then rotate it till it is pressing on the end of the bucking bar. Then I hold the arm over it at the place I want it to sit when clutch is engaged & make a scratch mark in line with the arm on the top of the cam. Then I take out the cam & clamp it in my vise, line up the arm with the mark I made, put an old socket on top of the arm that will clear the threads on the cam & smack it with a 3lb hammer till it seats all the way down. I never use that acorn nut to do this as it will break - add the nut only when finished.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto: Just make sure you align the arm as crassius instructed. Indexing the arm to the cam is important. Follow his advice and you'll be good to go.

Tom