Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
So after much back and forth about weather or not to use a Worksman frame I decided to build my own. I came to the conclusion that a bicycle frame just won't work for what I want. This thread will document my build of a custom design of my own based on a 1911 Indian and a 1926 HD. I have taken different elements of each bike and combine them to create some thing that was aesthetically pleasing and functional for me. One of the major issues I had designing this bike is that I do not have a tubing bender so the design could not have any bends. The bike is roughly 33in tall and 80in from the outer edge of the tires.

Day 1: Design. 6hrs

Day 2: Rear dropouts made out of 1/4in steel. 4hrs

Day 3: Measure and cut tubing. 5hrs

Day 4: More cutting and started welding. 4hrs

Day 5: Fork and headset arrived in the mail and finished welding the front half of the frame. 3hrs

Day 6: Worked on rear triangle. 2hrs

Day 7: More work on rear triangle. 2hrs

Day 8: More work on rear triangle. 2hrs

Day 9: More work on rear triangle. 3hrs

Day 10: Painted rear hub. 1.5hrs

Day 11: installed risers, and bars. 2hrs

Day 12: Primed rear rim, reamed head tube, mocked up fork. 4hrs

Attachments

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
You guessed it. I don't have the engine yet but the frame has enough room to fit a 23hp Briggs v-twin. However I will probably end up going with the 18hp because there seems to bee more aftermarket for it. The down side to using the Briggs is that I am going to have to sell my other bike to get enough money to buy it.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Somewere under cushman schooters is a site that deales with performance. They use 16hp and get like 40hp when done. I had the site but can't find it right now or lost it. If you can't find it let me know. I know a guy that is into it and will call him.

I sure hope you are going to use something other then bicycle wheels with that kind of power? One of them twins have a lot of tourq...........Curt

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Heh... Harry read my mind. That exactly the bike tha poped into my head when I saw this thread title. That Is VERY close to what I'd like to do for my next build.dance1

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I saw a really nice build done with this engine. It was a replica of a Comet BTR. Nicely done. I want to do one but I want to add a Comet Transmission to the Briggs engine so it can have some legs. Single speed with a V twin is blasphemy.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I've seen that Cyclone replica and it is really cool, that guy did a fantastic job. However something about it looks weird to me, when ever you try to replicate something you run the risk of it looking fake or awkward. This is why I created my own design using inspiration form the original bikes. Mine will be more of a "this is how I would have done it If I lived 90+ years ago."

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
There is nothing wrong with making your own design at all. I like the cyclone bike but I am not a yellow paint guy. This bike is a true racer as it was made for racing with only seven built I think ever in the world back then. Only one surviver and it sold for a record auction price. I wouldn't do an exact copy of it as my poor back would hate me for the extreme riding posture, lol! I can ride my current motorbike for 40 miles or so for the whole day and it is reasonably comfortable. I am thinking this is my number one criteria. If I can't ride it all day without pain I need to reconsider. There is one thing that is cool about the Briggs V-twin, it's electric start. Are you going to retain this feature? If it has the electric starter it must have a means of recharging the battery through an alternator or generator. It would be a clean design. Are you going to run a shifting hub or another Comet Transmission on yours?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am going to try to keep the electric start if I can find a way to hide the battery or keep it low key. Yes I will be using the comet cvt as well. After having one on my last bike I don't think I will ever build another with out it. As for comfort I don't really care about that, I want this bike to be as accurate to the originals as I can possibly get within my fabrication ability.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I've seen that Cyclone replica and it is really cool, that guy did a fantastic job. However something about it looks weird to me, when ever you try to replicate something you run the risk of it looking fake or awkward. This is why I created my own design using inspiration form the original bikes. Mine will be more of a "this is how I would have done it If I lived 90+ years ago."
Sounds like Artist speak...

I agree.

-Kirk

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sounds like Artist speak...

I agree.

-Kirk
This cracked me up when I saw it, Because that's what I do for a living. Its funny how art is related to all most all areas of are lives and most people don't even know it. Did you know the first doctors and scientist were also artists. Leonardo is a perfect example, I have a lot of respect for him.

I have been updating my initial post with newer photos. But maybe I should just make a new post when I make more progress. Things are going slow with no noticeable change. I will post more pics when I get the rear triangle finished.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Very very cool Lurker. Just a question, and im not knocking your build, i love it, but was wondering what you will do with this bike? Will you attempt to ride it on the road? Car shows and the like only? Or will you somehow try and register it?