Still waiting on my Dax repair......

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Well, guys-you might remember I posted a few days ago about having to send my 10 day old Dax GT50 R back because it stopped running.....they have had it since last Friday and I'm getting a *tiny* bit concerned about a lack of communication....I haven't heard anything since Monday.

It's an awesome motor and up to this point I couldn't be more pleased with their service.

When I sent the motor in last Monday a week ago, I offered to buy another motor if it could get here by last Friday since I had a vacation planned around my bicycle.

Yeah, I know it sounds absurd to offer to buy another motor when I have one (albeit broken and half-way across the country)....I was desperate to not have my vacation ruined as I had several hundred bucks tied up in reservations.

I own my own business and while I appreciate that the Dax guys are busy......I'm starting to get a tiny bit perturbed. I realize things take time, but I want to get back riding....I am seriously considering buying another motor so I have a spare.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
My post kinda comes across like I am picking on him.......I am not.

Every business has its ups and downs, but I bought a motor that lasted exactly 10 days.

I've been really nice with all my communications with them up to this point, but my patience is starting to wear down a little bit.

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Dont worry, you will get your motor. Duane is a great guy and will get you fixed up, but you must remember, he is still just a guy, running his business out of his house, he does not have a huge staff to do repairs. My GT50 R also broke, (it is just a $79 chinese pocket bike motor after all) But you get what you pay for in service. It took him about a month to get the motor back to me, but he didnt charge me a dime, he tossed in a new high flow air filter and I also had a $10 order for a few other things from his site, he gave those to me for free. Try calling him instead of email, his # is on his site.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Good point Walander.....I guess I'm just frustrated about the whole situation and maybe I was a little harsh in my original post, so my apologies to Duane.

I know that it's an inexpensive motor, but it just up and died 25 miles from my house- that was a long slog home and it really screwed me up for my vacation as I had a really neat trip planned

He did email me and said that the threads were stripped in the head.....this kind of puzzles me as I didn't screw around with the motor until it broke and when he told me to check the head bolts....that's when I discovered that one of the head bolts wouldn't tighten.

I understand that Duane is just one guy running a company as I pretty much do the same thing with my company......I'm seriously thinking about just buying a second motor just so I have a spare.

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Looks like you'll need to get a centrifugal clutch for that engine. The monsterscooterparts engine might be a better stopgap, maybe a replacement if you can live with the lower power rating.

I'm in the same boat. My GT50R is in their hands for repair too, and I leave for vacation on July 23rd. Is everyone having head bolt issues? I think the head bolt threads are designed for a real metal block, not crumbly pot metal. The recommended 85-90 in.lb. torque is very low.

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
He did email me and said that the threads were stripped in the head.....this kind of puzzles me as I didn't screw around with the motor until it broke and when he told me to check the head bolts....that's when I discovered that one of the head bolts wouldn't tighten.
I had to return my to him as well about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I should get mine back tomorrow. Same problem as yours, stripped head bolt. I wonder if he got
a shipment of defective engines. I went ahead and bought me a Honda GX35
4 stroke just to have some reliability in the meantime.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
What's going on is the Chinese don't tap the holes to the bottom. Then there is less of the threads engaged to prevent pull-out. Also the acorn nut bottoms out and the stud starts to thread into the block and it can't due to the hole not being tapped so the stud doesn't thread, it just pulls out.

Threading the stud holes is one of the things on the "what to do before you install your motor" thread. One of the first pieces of advice is get rid of the acorn nuts and use real ones from a hardware store or a nut and bolt place.

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
Threading the stud holes is one of the things on the "what to do before you install your motor" thread. One of the first pieces of advice is get rid of the acorn nuts and use real ones from a hardware store or a nut and bolt place.
Good advice, wrong engine. We are discussing the GT50R from thatsdax
which doesn't have acorn nuts.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
...Looks like you'll need to get a centrifugal clutch for that engine...
It has a centrifugal clutch already installed, the black part shown in the pic is a clutch drum/output gear assy, you just remove it and you will see the normal clutch shoe assy.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
As an aside, why are these defective DAX engines being kept a secret?
I think others would benefit from knowing about any problems that are occurring with these engines.

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
As an aside, why are these defective DAX engines being kept a secret?
If it's a secret, how do you know about it?

I had my engine only a week or so and am posting now. The others recent posts appear to be in regard to new engines too.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I only know about it because of this thread.

If it wasn't for the OP posting about his experiences with DAX, and then the resulting responses of others who are having the same difficulties, it would still be a secret.

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
I only know about it because of this thread.

If it wasn't for the OP posting about his experiences with DAX, and then the resulting responses of others who are having the same difficulties, it would still be a secret.
Right, the forum is working as it should. Nobody knows if they have an isolated problem until others add to the thread. I'm interested too to hear from other owners of this engine. It's small, light, powerful, and well carbureted. Hopefully it fits a middle ground between the typical frame mount China Girl junk (Grubee, etc.) and high end friction drive 2 strokes (Tanaka, Mitsubishi). There's a huge thread on this engine already, but not much feedback from actual owners.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Yikes!

I certainly didn't mean to start a poo-storm on account of ThatsDax.....they seem like very nice folks, it's just that I was really frustrated about having my vacation ruined because my 10 day old motor pooped the bed.

I'm sure the Dax guys will make it right, but I am a tiny bit concerned about the longevity of this unit after reading about some of the other riders issues.

I'm a 52 year old geezer that is pretty much satisfied putting along at 15-20 mph most of the time.....in fact I was going less then 20 mph when my engine just slowly stopped running.

Having said that-the power this motor puts out is incredible- it has a very wide powerband with loads of torque considering its size.