I Want Reliability

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I posted this thread about a certian E-bike that I may buy, dont know much about them, let me know what you think.

http://motorbicycling.com/f55/what-do-you-think-e-bike-29406.html#post279744

-skyhawk66cc
I've seen this e-bike and, I admit, it's one of the best out there. A couple of caveats though:

- The 15 to 20 mile range is a very broad estimate, based on "normal pedaling", ideal (read light) rider weight and, I would guess, level roads.

- If I bought it and used it to commute to work, I'd have to talk my boss into letting me plug the battery in someplace. That didn't seem a likely thing.

- Yes, I admit this too, 15 mph is a bit slow for me. And the other drivers would either honk at me or try to run me off the road. (Wait...they do that now anyway. Never mind.)

All that said, the I-zip looks like a great bike for an electric. If you can make it work for you, I'd go for it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a few tips. for sealing gaskets, use indian head gasket sealer. avail at local auto store for less than three bucks. Another tip, the problem can be anything. check everything. check your electric connections, check your idle screw, check your clutch adjustments, check to see if your head bolts are tight, check every nut and bolt. if you broke a chain, it was either defective or not lined up correctly. check that issue out. dont hit your kill switch by accident. sounds silly, but i have done it a few times. i use ngk b6l plug. i went to a cycle shop looking for a recommended cross referenced plug, and it didnt fit. showed the guy my plug and he matched it up just by looking at it. said it looked like a sportster plug. also, spray your cdi contacts with wd40. i am betting there is nothing wrong with your parts, just an adjustment you missed somewhere. these kits can be tricky with little adjustments that you forget about.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
i did set up my own kill switch. you dont need to baby these engines. my first engine lasted a year with very heavy use. i estimate between six and ten thousand miles on that engine. the piston rings burned up because i was using outboard oil instead of air cooled oil. i say if i can put six thousand or more miles on an engine with the wrong kind of oil and all the abuse i put it through and it lasted a year, thats pretty reliable. especially for a hundred and fifty bucks.