Radar Detector on my bike

GoldenMotor.com

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
There are a lot of cops in my town going around lately stopping people on mopeds and motorized bicycles because most people don't have insurance, go to fast, or other reasons. There was also this one person that was stopped once and the police took his motorized bike away. I don't know why, nor do I want to find out. I was thinking about putting a Radar/Laser Detector on my bike but I didn't know how to power it. If I use a plain old battery, wouldn't it just drain super quick without an alternator? Has anyone else done this? Because I keep hinting to myself that this is a stupid idea.
.rd.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
most of the new ones are battery operated and run off double or triple A's so powering it wouldn't be a problem.

but i think you should listen to those hints and not do it. think about how a cop's gonna react if he pulls you over and you have one mounted to your handlebars.

my advice would be to figure out all the laws in your state, then obey them as best you can. (unless you have a bike capable of 50+, then get the detector:))

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree with Bairdco.
Instead of a detector why not a speedometer and then obey the speed limits? That way you don't have to worry about breaking the laws. You won't be doing yourself or the hobby any favors by exceeding speed limits when you know the police in your area are on the prowl.
Tom

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
i have a speedometer on my bike im working on right now. Its a DP Exersize bike gauge. Its looks nice and vintage to go right on my old school bike. Going to fast is not a problem. Cops just like to stop you and I just wanted to try to find them before they find me so when they pass me, I can look like a bicycle instead of a mb. The cops in my town hate mb >.< Considering the fact that Im 16 and have no DL yet.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is one of the few laws pertaining to MBs here in CT. Supposed to have a DL. I find the cops here are super cool about MBs. Just please be careful. Your age will be a bit of cause for them to look twice. Smile and wave.

I live just south of Hartford. There is a young man of about 12 or so. He rides a china girl and rides very responsibly and I have never seen him get bothered. Would get a DL/permit ASAP. Best of luck and please be careful

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
Im in the process of getting my DL and as for responsibility, Im a very same driver. I wear a helmet, go the speed limit, you name it. I do occasionally wave at the cops because i know some of them. Bun some I dont... theres a problem waiting to happen.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I know Im old fashioned but when people talk about putting devices on their bikes that costs more than the bike kit, I wonder if they don't have just a little too much money. I know that sounds stupid but sometimes I think we just get wrapped up in the nuts and bolts and forget it's about the freedom and the freedom is born in less it more.

I don't mean to offend anyone with a tom tom, mp3 player, an iphone holder, or in this case a radar detector. I know it may just be sour grapes.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
I agree with Bairdco, just be cool and get along with our PD they are there to protect and serve. .shft.
That may be true in many places but in Austin the PD is here to fine, jail and anything else that might earn the city some revenue. It is definitely not about protecting or serving anyone.

I am sure there are some decent Austin cops as I do not know all of them, but the ones who have to peddle a bike downtown are trying to prove something to their superiors so they can get a car one day I guess. They are not thrilled to be riding a bike on the beat I guess. LOL