Clutch operation and the Fuzz....

GoldenMotor.com

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
I figured the clutch in these things might not be really hearty so I always get pedaling fast enough to drop the clutch in at idle speed at least. My clutch question: Sometimes on the first start of the day the clutch will slip quite a bit before the engine rolls over and starts to spin. The fuel shut-off is not 100% and I have been draining the tank at the end of the day which naturally helps the start-up a LOT. Is this about normal operation or am I going to shred the clutch prematurely? Next question, how about legality? On my first day out a deputy pulled me over, he really only wanted to see how I was going so fast without much pedaling. He claimed that if you have to pedal it to start the engine and are at least 16 years of age and have any valid driver's license that I can ride it anywhere in NE except on the interstate. I realize that things probably vary state to state, but has anyone had similar experiences? Ride on! rmfla

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just posted a thread about the same clutch problem. mine started doing that after about a year.

here's an over simplified way to fix it.

start with your bike cold, since that's when the problem occurs.

if you roll it without pulling the clutch lever, it should skid the back tire. if it rolls...

the first thing to check is your clutch cable adjustment. it could be as simple as being too tight. try loosening the cable a little, then roll the bike again. if it skids, then pull the lever and make sure it rolls free.

if it does, test ride it, make sure it's fixed.

if it still does it...

take your clutch cover off (the big teardrop shaped one)

make sure there's no grease or oil leaking out anywhere.

if it's clean and dry, take out the little set screw and turn the flower nut clockwise one notch. if you pull the lever it'll turn easier. replace the screw and do the push test again.

if it's good, put the cover back on and ride it.

if there's grease or oil all over, clean it with some carb cleaner. if there's a lot of grease and oil, you have bigger problems.

hopefully this helps.

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
Thanks. It has zero slip if you try to push it, I generally lean on it a little so the engine rolls over three or for times to clear the cylinder before I start it, this seems to help a lot. The primary drive is real clean, I grease the gears lightly and then roll it over a few times to spread the grease evenly and then wipe off any excess, it throws very little off. I've got about 1/8th of freeplay in the clutch arm. Next time I grease it I'm going to try the Plasti-Dip sound deadener and I will check out turning that flower nut. On a related note, my engine did not have a gasket under the primary cover, but does not seem to be taking on any dirt. Counting my driveway it is almost a two mile ride on gravel before I can hit pavement, my first upgrade is going to be a better air filter, didn't realize how much filter I didn't have 'til I tore the carb apart yesterday.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you grease the gears (i never do) there could be a slight amount that got worked into the clutch pucks, glazing them over.

you could spray them down with carb cleaner and rough them up with some sandpaper to clean them off.