Helmet Cam

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I am always being asked what I use for a helmet cam, my last helmet cam thread got deleted so here we go again and please post what you use.

First I want to say, YES, I know what I do to my helmet makes it less safer by drilling holes in it. And if you have a pricey helmet then by all means dont do it. This is just how I did it as cheap as possible.

I am using a old BMX helmet that my nephew gave me. And right now I am using a sanyo VPC-E870. My previous camera was a Kodak M853. I use two memory cards a 1gb and 4 gb which gives me about 1hr(4gb) & 22(1gb) minutes of record time. I also have two battery but I have yet to have a battery run dead on me even after recording over an hour.

When I had the Kodak, all I had was a simple L bracket that kept the camera real close to the helmet. It had lights on top that I could see if the camera was on/off and recording.

But my Sanyo does not have those lights so I needed to see the screen if it's on and recording. Many times that I thought I was recording I actually wasn't. So I just extended the L bracket a little further out so I could see the screen.

I have had my camera mounted on top of the helmet, But usually being by myself I have to pull my helmet off just to turn it on and hit the record button. Wasting precious battery and memory space by the time I get it back on. And if I just reach up to hit the button I never know if it is recording.

I have mounted on handlebars but never liked they way it comes out. And without a anti-vibration camera I am afraid of killing my camera. I like it right in front of me. I can turn it on and off when I want to, record when I want to. And even take a pic of what I am seeing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Motrax Mini Cam

Cycle Gear - MOTRAX: Mini Cam,

I ran across this and thought I would share it. It is reasonable priced and I like how compact the camera is.

Super light weight, fix anywhere digital movie camera with sound. Blue LED indicator lamp shows unit on standby, flashing LED shows unit is recording. Built in audible 'bleep' for low battery/disc full warning.

Kwik-Cam works with Mac and PC - USB cable and software CD are included.

Features and Benefits

* Simple to use
* Mac and PC compatible - USB cable and PC Driver included
* Record up to 2 hours video and sound in one hit
* Built in microphone
* Flashing blue LED indicates recording
* Memory expandable by up to 8Gb with micro SD card (not supplied)
* Requires 3x AAA batteries (not included)
* Elasticized strap and Velcro type pads supplied allow camera to be mounted to helmet or motorcycle - or practically anything!

Never used it, don't know much about it but maybe its just right for someone?

Here are some videos of the camera in use

YouTube - Motrax Motorcycle KwikCam Mini Camera First Ride!

YouTube - Motrax Kwikcam UK Road Test

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
OK Dave, thanks to your idea, this is what I'm using as a makeshift helmet cam. A friend of mine dropped off this bracket a day ago, so I mounted it to my cheapo fullface helmet with 4 zipties and some foam padding (no helmet damage). I mounted my latest 10 mega-pixel digital camera (Canon Power Shot SD 790 IS elph) that also records video and has a 2GB mem card that's good for about 30 mins of decent quality video. It ain't great, but it get's the job done. Here's the rig:

And here's some vid:

YouTube - Let's go for a ride

Happy New Year everybody!!! .wee.

I am always being asked what I use for a helmet cam, my last helmet cam thread got deleted so here we go again and please post what you use.

First I want to say, YES, I know what I do to my helmet makes it less safer by drilling holes in it. And if you have a pricey helmet then by all means dont do it. This is just how I did it as cheap as possible.

I am using a old BMX helmet that my nephew gave me. And right now I am using a sanyo VPC-E870. My previous camera was a Kodak M853. I use two memory cards a 1gb and 4 gb which gives me about 1hr(4gb) & 22(1gb) minutes of record time. I also have two battery but I have yet to have a battery run dead on me even after recording over an hour.

When I had the Kodak, all I had was a simple L bracket that kept the camera real close to the helmet. It had lights on top that I could see if the camera was on/off and recording.

But my Sanyo does not have those lights so I needed to see the screen if it's on and recording. Many times that I thought I was recording I actually wasn't. So I just extended the L bracket a little further out so I could see the screen.

I have had my camera mounted on top of the helmet, But usually being by myself I have to pull my helmet off just to turn it on and hit the record button. Wasting precious battery and memory space by the time I get it back on. And if I just reach up to hit the button I never know if it is recording.

I have mounted on handlebars but never liked they way it comes out. And without a anti-vibration camera I am afraid of killing my camera. I like it right in front of me. I can turn it on and off when I want to, record when I want to. And even take a pic of what I am seeing.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Got a pair of sunglasses with a camera built in on ebay from china- $20-
seems to take some decent video it stores on micro SD- I just plug an adapter into my computer to see and use it-

haven't taken any bike footage yet- soon

not sure how long the built in battery will last, but it's supposed to recharge.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well I got a new vid cam for my motorbiking adventures today that can be mounted on my helmet or on the handlebars with mounts that were included. My Dad kindly bought this for me at Big 5 sporting goods store on sale for under $40 so I wouldn't ruin my good Canon by crashing or something......thanks Pops! It uses up to a 2GB mem card and runs on 2AA batts and I hope too test it out tomorrow, if time permits.

Here's what it looks like....

dnut

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My camera died on me. At least this one lasted 2 years unlike the Kodak I had previously.

I think my last ride (Mad Ride) was the one that did it.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Has anybody purchased Vivitar Digital Helmet Camera? Just wondering if its worth it.
Last night I realized it was on clearance for $19.99 (regularly $39.99), plus 5% off with free shipping using a mothers day coupon code.

Could not pass it up for only $20, will found out how well it works in the next few weeks. Hopefully its worth the $20.....

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!

The ride home following the thunderstorm was an epic ride !

Great film, Dave!
rc

I just discovered the Vivitar dvr-480 is 20 bucks at Kmart...
then I looked at the cnet.com review.. always do, on camera stuff... they say to take a step up.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...Ex20120501TransKmartShipConf&eml=&rioptype=KC

The Vivitar helmet cam came in; It come's with two helmet mounts, one for the top and one for the side of the helmet. It attaches to the helmet with either a strap or sticky pad that comes with the camera.

It also comes with a bicycle bar mount. This is the way I first tested it and it's very wavy. The more bumps and vibration the more wavy it get's. Also if you hit a bump hard enough or if I run WOT it seems to shut the camera off and you lose all that you previous recorded.

The camera run's on two AAA batteries (Not Included) and a 16GB SD memory card is recommended (Not Included). I am using a 8GB card its the biggest I have.

It also comes with a protective cover for the camera, hopefully soon I can get some videos uploaded.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just picked up a Nikon S3300. I've done several test videos with it and it does okay but is sort of jumpy, doesn't like bumps. I did notice that when I record in a larger format, 1280 X 720 the images are smoother but if I go down to 640 X 480 the vid is very jerky and bouncy with road bumps. Is that normal?

I don't have it mounted on my helmet but suspended from a neck strap and a home made mount that lets the camera dangle from my neck. Good? Bad?

I really want to start doing some vids but still working out the bugs.

Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...Ex20120501TransKmartShipConf&eml=&rioptype=KC

The Vivitar helmet cam came in; It come's with two helmet mounts, one for the top and one for the side of the helmet. It attaches to the helmet with either a strap or sticky pad that comes with the camera.

It also comes with a bicycle bar mount. This is the way I first tested it and it's very wavy. The more bumps and vibration the more wavy it get's. Also if you hit a bump hard enough or if I run WOT it seems to shut the camera off and you lose all that you previous recorded.

The camera run's on two AAA batteries (Not Included) and a 16GB SD memory card is recommended (Not Included). I am using a 8GB card its the biggest I have.

It also comes with a protective cover for the camera, hopefully soon I can get some videos uploaded.
Some idiot forgot to clip the camera all the way in the helmet mount and the Vivitar has been lost. At least thats what I assumed happened?

Good thing is one of the mounts works with my Sanyo VPC