Anything worth motorizing at Walmart?

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i hav a delmar from walmart for $99,its good but i replaced the back coaster wheel cause the hub wears out and makes noises. get one with a rear wheel that has muliple gears.

truckinusa

Jan 19, 2010
Frisco, TX
You might want to check this out? I think this is my next project...
IMPAKT Sidehack
What would I do with that? Its a small bicycle? I used to have one like that when I was a kid though. My uncle welded it up for me to carry an ice chest on. I made a killing selling cold can sodas around the neighborhood when I was a kid. The whole area I lived in was under construction for around 5 years.

truckinusa

Jan 19, 2010
Frisco, TX
I guess I am not that familiar what to look for? Any keywords that you use on craiglist? I just went to bicycles and typed in cruiser and found nothing too exciting.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
they should motorize the shopping carts. a lot of overweight people get tired pushing carts full of industrial sized cheetos around...
and the cashiers...most of them could use some 'motovation'

But, to answer the man's question; The Pacific Cycle Schwinns have been used often for motorizing. There are a number of very successful builds using the Wally World/Target/K-Mart bikes. If you're looking at cruisers check out the Point Beach, Jaguar, Southport and several other popular names. Don't limit yourself to Walmart. They aren't any cheaper than the others.
Tom

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Got my Electra "Street Rod" cruiser for $75 off CL. Get something w/ quality components. Honestly, the cheapest bikes aren't very good bicycles let alone mb's. I do not get why so many people think that it's a good idea to strap a motor to the cheapest thing they can find.

Evils of Mall Wart aside, spend a little more and get something confidence inspiring!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
amen. cheaper ain't always the way to go.

plus, nothing's cheap. take my bike for example. i got the basic platform (a rusted 1939 Colson) for 75 bucks. after i was done (which i never really am) i'm into it for around $600, probably more. i also know that this bike will outlast anything sold by walmart, including the buildings they occupy.

truckinusa

Jan 19, 2010
Frisco, TX
I guess I'll keep an eye out for something on craigslist. I wonder how many other MBers are doing the same thing though? I see a lot of nice bikes for sale on websites, but I wonder how many people actually spend more money than a Walmart type bike when it comes to a beach cruiser? I mean if you are on the beach maybe its a different story.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
My first MB came from Wal Mart!

I purchased a Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser online from Wal Mart. So far, I've got about 350 miles on it since Christmas and it's been working out fine. I added fenders, seat and various other parts but, I feel like it was a good purchase. My next bike will probably be an older, used bike (the older the better) but I'll take my time and build it the way I want. I'd say that Wal Mart is an option but not your only option. If I wanted to get into something where I never had to tinker with it, it wouldn't be a HT engine and it wouldn't come from Wal Mart! Understand what you're buying is the key to being a happy buyer.

Attachments

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
That's a great looking "Wal Mart" bike Wanabe! Tinkering with them is half the fun for me if it were just two wheel transportation I wouldn't need the motor bike.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Yeah. I've wanted to get another motorcycle but, it's not in the cards right now. So, for the cost of one payment on the motorcycle, I got the Andian. Glad you like it.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I don't know what the rules are for motorbikes in FL, I hope they're less restrictive than in OR. As nice as your bike looks I'd think you could make a bit of cash selling custom motorbikes. I have no problem with the mechanics of it but don't have nearly as good designer's eye as your do.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I've had some others tell me similar stuff. Right now, I'm just enjoying the bike. I've gotten to the point of tinkering with it but I still want to put a drum brake on the front and a few other things. If someone were to come along and have to have it, I've got a lot of ideas floating around in my head that I'd like to try on another bike. Possibly a Wal mart or a Target bike. I enjoy thinking about what to do and how to overcome obstacles on these projects. The benefits are a lot quicker than working on street rods and, the cost is a lot less too!

Glad you like it exavid!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I know of and have built many Walmart bikes. Many of them have thousands of miles on them with no problems. As long as you keep up with the maintenance and keep an eye on things I dont see a problem with Walmart bikes. Just my opinion..................

Last edited: