New to the forum, first build.

GoldenMotor.com

Slokey

Mar 16, 2016
ND
Hello everyone! So I recently thought it would be awesome to motorize a bike for my commute to work. I bought a stinger 66cc kit motor and a huffy nel lusso. I am decently mechanically inclined and am still waiting on my motor to arrive. I had a quick question about the nel lusso: does anyone know what style caliper brakes fit best? I don't really have a bike shop near me so I'm stuck making blind purchases online. I'm thinking of doing a dual pull brake for front and rear brakes in addition to the stock coaster brake.

Thanks for any advice. I'm sure I'll need it as I have never motorized a bike before.

Slokey

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the community, Slokey. I'm sure you'll find answers to most of your questions here.

Until someone with experience with your particular bike comes along might I suggest you type in the name in the 'Search Box' and see if it doesn't provide you with some advice from other members who might have installed aftermarket brakes.

Good luck with your first motorized bicycle and we're always here if/when you help or advice.

Tom

Slokey

Mar 16, 2016
ND
Thanks for the advice, I checked out the search feature and found a couple other builds. I wound up going with beach cruiser brakes from sickbikeparts.com when my motor arrives I'll put up some pictures of the build.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
welcome to the club, you are going to love it. (the bike and the forum)

i completely agree. dual brakes are almost a requirement on these.
you can get by with 2 brake handles, but why do that when $15 will double your stopping power, make you safer, free up space, and make it look way cooler?

not to mention that using a rear brake alone will destroy your rear tire, or the fact that using a front brake alone is dangerous...

Slokey

Mar 16, 2016
ND
Motor kit came in today!!!

Couple glaring issues right off the bat, I'm going to have some difficulty mounting the fuel tank due to some welded piece under the tube, but that's not what concerns me right now. My question is this: The sprocket assembly I got in the Stinger kit only came with one set of split steel retainer plates. Is this common? All the videos of sprocket installations I have seen come with two sets. One for inside the spokes (three piece) and one that mounts directly to the sprocket (two piece). I only received the two piece one, and two rubber isolators. Is this an oversight by stinger? Or is this intended? I feel like if I install it with just the two piece on the inside of the spokes it won't be balanced. Even their instruction manual depicts a 3 piece retainer plate set.

Thanks for the help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You only need one set. They go on the inside (hub side inboard of the spokes) and the last layer of the 'sandwich' of sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, metal plates. The spokes are squeezed between the two rubber parts.

Tom

Slokey

Mar 16, 2016
ND
Thanks for that 2door. After a little headache and filing, I got the bearing dust cover to seat properly with the sprocket. Got everything finger right. Going to align it and tighten everything tomorrow.

Right now I have to wait on my universal motor mount I ordered.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for that 2door. After a little headache and filing, I got the bearing dust cover to seat properly with the sprocket. Got everything finger right. Going to align it and tighten everything tomorrow.

Right now I have to wait on my universal motor mount I ordered.
Installing the 'rag joint' can be a challenge until you've done it a time or two. Don't get discouraged. It takes patients but once installed correctly it will work fine. Pay close attention to getting the sprocket centered on the hub and assure there is no wobble and that the engine drive sprocket and the rear, driven sprocket are aligned.

Lots of information here on the chain/sprocket/alignment and tension issues.

Good luck. Let us know if you have any trouble.

Tom

Makakoa602

Oct 3, 2017
Hi Im building a motorized bike using a Nel Lusso as well. Wondering if anyone knows what the hub sprocket size is for the Nel Lusso. Looking to get a hub sprocket adapter. Sorry very new to this hope I'm making sense.

Thank you in advance!

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
It is 1.5 dia hub on the Nel Lusso rims I have here. Your hub should be the same. FYI, They work well with a 1.5 Cnc hub adapter also. I like the thick gauge spokes and powder coated steel rims.
Long reach beach cruiser calipers work well. I always get a
Double pull brake handle and install these calipers for front and rear brakes. Never need to use the coaster brake even though its there and working also. I like 3 brakes on all my builds. Good luck on the builds

doomedgame

Jan 26, 2017
ga
One think to keep in mind about the double pull lever you will be pulling both brakes with one hand so it will be a heavier pull.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Yep, you need a firm grip. I always wondered why they didn't make the handle longer for increased leverage to compensate. They do work however and I'm glad I can buy them.