Predator engine spews oil

GoldenMotor.com

tylerv

Aug 9, 2015
sacramento
I am building a board track racer using the Harbor Freight 212 Predator engine that i have mounted vertical as many others have done, today I finally got around to firing it up for the first time and when it started, it would only run on choke while fluttering the throttle, once you turn off the choke it revs higher then dies, but my real question is that when it is running, it spews oil out of the overflow hole in the valve cover, not just a little, but a lot, being that my engine is now mounted vertical i filled the oil until i thought that it was able to cover the plastic timing gear in the case, is there too much oil in the engine or is there another problem? Tyler Virga.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
To much oil. Your only supposed to fill to where the crank is, that's where the engine splasher is at.

The plastic hear is not timing, that the governor gear which I recommend removing cause the fail at higher revs.

Plus if ur filling up that high that's essentially the whole crank case with oil. Surprised u didn't blow other seals.

It also might not run with the stock carb, there not designed for crazy angles

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the plastic gear being referred to here is the camshaft gear, not the white governor gear with the centrifugal innards.

You don't want to remove this plastic gear as the engine will not run without a camshaft.....period.

Either way however there is way too much oil in the crankcase....remove some or just let it blow all over the place making a nice oily mess of things.

This is also the reason for running a "catch can" on the larger 4-stroke builds as it traps the excess oil and such in an on-board container that can be drained periodically to keep from messing things up with slippery goo all over the place.

Good luck and post some pic of what you are dealing with.....we can help with the correct info here.