What is correct fuel mixture?

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Why do I feel this way when the subject comes up?

Does this happen to all two smoke operators?

...and all the replies were great, valid, and good information!

I left, and read other interesting threads...

Then it hit me!

I HAD to come back and get into the conversation.
I could not resist!

A high performance two stroke engine should have the best mix oil you can afford for it, mixed to specifications of the oil producer.

It is probably wise to purchase one brand of oil, and stay with that, as opposed to changing types frequently.

This is NOT what I do, it is the practice I would advise others to follow.

Best
rc

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
I use Opti-2 oil as well at 100:1. The nice thing is that there is ZERO smoke from the exhaust and oil does not drip from the exhaust either. 1000 miles so far and no problems. I have even run on straight gas two or three times when in a pinch out on the road and it is still fine.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
[QUOTE="Avalanche]. I have even run on straight gas two or three times when in a pinch out on the road and it is still fine.[/QUOTE]
No, it ain't fine and excess wear will have occurred if you went any distance.
How far did you go on no added oil?

At least throw some used 30 weight into the gas like the Chinese recommend in the bad info motor kit manuals! :D

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
No, it ain't fine and excess wear will have occurred if you went any distance.
How far did you go on no added oil?

no, for sure, you are absolutely right, it is obviously not ok to run on straight gas. totally not advised. I just did not want to pedal home and running straight gas for 15-20 minutes didn't seem like it would be an issue. I use practically no oil anyway.

what I meant was: "fine" as in the engine ran the same before and after running straight gas with no noticeable changes to performance and "fine" as in it's a cheap stock 'PK80' kit engine with at least 1000 miles on it already and if it dies my heart wouldn't be broken.

one time I went 6 miles no gas and another time I went maybe 7 or 8 miles with no gas. I just filled up at a gas station and another my friend had some gas but no oil.

I get about 100mpg and use 1.28ounces of oil for every gallon of gas and my average speed is 24mph. the engine only sees 0.33oz of oil for every hour of operation or thereabouts. so normally in 15 minutes worth of riding the engine gets 0.09oz of oil, lol, I figured 0.00 wouldn't be that drastic of a change for a very short while.

CrzdCtryRebel

Apr 25, 2013
Lehi Utah
I have also been using Opti 2 I have almost 4000 miles on my pk80 and a lot of that was in 90-100 degree temps out side! Everyone has their own preference but I will never run a 2-stroke with anything else

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WOW !!!

THAT, is really impressive!
What a sales pitch!

I'm gonna have to use Opti2 on the chinagirl I have that has not been run yet.
rc

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I also run Opti2 exclusively in all my 2 smoker engines, chainsaws, weedwackers.. well accept for the 4 stroke weedwacker, in all my china girl engines, as long as I can buy Opti2 that is what I'll be running, it lubes great and my engines run great, may be other oils as good or maybe even better...shrug..... not sure...? But Opti2 does what I need it to do and that is all I need, I run my engine at 100:1 From day one, I dont do a break in period or more oil mix, I start them on what I plan to run them on, I take it a bit easy for the first 40-50 miles and then I run it like I plan to run it.

Map

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Thank you all for your advise I appreciate it very much. Information is power...
One more piece of info--advise for what it's worth. The Gasoline in Maine is laced with ethanol--they say 10% Who knows??? Go to NAPA and buy a bottle of K-100. Couple capfuls per gallon (can't overdose) will save you from wrist pin failure. Trust Me! Especially for the Cold Climate guys

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
One more piece of info--advise for what it's worth. The Gasoline in Maine is laced with ethanol--they say 10% Who knows??? Go to NAPA and buy a bottle of K-100. Couple capfuls per gallon (can't overdose) will save you from wrist pin failure. Trust Me! Especially for the Cold Climate guys
yup and 10 % at least in MA also !!!! hey man i go up to main every weekend to stay at my fiance unkles summer home right in york on the edge of burwick !

any way if your concerned with adding great synthetic oil to bad gas laden with ethanol then try out this....

true fuel 40:1 pre mix
http://www.trufuel50.com/Performance.aspx

this stuff is pure high oct fuel mixed perfectly at 40 or 50 to 1 and has a stabilizer so it never seperates or goes bad, its also designed spacificly for high reving small 2 stroke motors ! i switched over to this stuff aand do not use reg gas anymore and since the switchmy motor has been running spotlessly clean ! i do keep a 1.8 oz pack of opti2 in my bag though just in case i need to fill up on the road. but when i do use opti 2 i mix it 40:1. my bike just runs perfect at 40 to 1 mix.

try putting some pump gas in a clear gass container and check it out, is it cloudy or dark ? are there particulates floating around ? is there water in it ? how much of it is ethanol ? now compare it to the same amount of true fuel and you will see how clean it is and how much of a differance there realy is. reg gas has tons of detergants and crap in it designed for large displacement autos, not the best for small 2 baners

Attachments

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
WOW! Thanks Roger. I'll digest this and visit your page. I lap all Cyl and Heads and use thin copper gasket so been using Octane boost as well as K-100. Base of the cocktail is Amsoil Dominator Synth. 32:1 size 63 and 64 jets from SBP in NT carbs. All my bikes run great.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Wow looks like I started a good exchange of information. This is exactly what a forum is all about. Like I said, "flow like a river". Good job everyone and thank you all for your contribution's. Keep it going...
.flg.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Tom. C'mon, say what ya really think? (kidding. when I first read you liked it, I decided to try it. 2 years later, I still have a whole lot of cheap dyno...

Where I live there is no ethanol free gas available at gas stations, but you can get it at marinas. Is more expensive but makes for a fun ride in my case. Also airports might have it, but think trying to ride a motorized bicycle out on the tarmac might not go over real well with the TSA.

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Newbie in the 'mix' here. No pun intended. A friend of mine is a distributor for Amsoil, and he recommended Saber Professional at 100:1. Was reading about it and it is mainly for use in weed whackers and such. They do have one called Interceptor 2-stroke oil @ 50:1. It designed for motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. Either of these worth a try do you think?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I've seen the Amsoil Interceptor- No Quams about giving it a try- 50:1 huh. Probably wait til spring when I will be riding more consistant again. thanks for the inside info.usflg