Best Gift Ever

GoldenMotor.com

knownanonym

Jul 17, 2013
San Francisco
Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new to the whole motor bicycling scene, I was introduced to it out of no where. aha. I'm a full time college student who also works full time as a Valet driver. Due to the crazy increase in tuition I recently had to sell my car, luckily enough one of the daily drivers at the garage I work at gifted me with a motorbike!

I received it without a motor chain so the first thing I did was find a chain & try to see if I could start it. But upon removing the drive sprocket cover plate I found that one of the screws were completely stripped!

I tried looking through the forum to find out what replacement screws I should get, but I came to a dead end when I realized I have no idea what type of engine I have. aha.

So I have two questions at this point;

1) Can someone help me identify my engine? In as many descriptive words as possible would be great! so I can use the terms to do searches throughout the forum. aha. I am a COMPLETE newbie. aha. I've attached pictures.

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get this thing into it's best shape? (I've already found the awesome list of suggestions on what to do with a brand new build kit, should I just pretend it's new & clean along the way?) aha.

Thanks in advance! This has definitely been one of the most helpful forums I've ever read through, I'm excited to get started on this project!

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Looks like a standard 66/80cc 2 stroke chinese bicycle engine. People in the know call it a 66cc. Most venders that sell them call it a 80cc.
It looks like it's ready to go except I don't see any screws holding the clutch arm cover on. You will need to make sure this is screwed down tight for your clutch to work. And if someone had this off they might have lost the bucking bar and bearing that fits in behind the clutch arm.
Also, Don't forget to MIX the gas with 2 STROKE OIL. straight gas will blow your engine. It's a 2 stroke, like a chainsaw or whatever, It needs 2 stroke oil mixed with the gas. For now, untill you find out if it runs, I would mix it according to the directions on the back of the 2 stroke oil bottle. Later you can play with mix ratio's, synthetics, ect.
So find some screws for the cover, then see if the clutch works. It should lock the rear wheel to the engine and release it with the clutch lever pulled in. If the clutch don't work get back to us, We'll talk you through getting it to work.
As for the screw you need, Just take a good one to your local hardware store and look in the metric section. I dont know the thread pitch off hand, but it should be easy to match up.
Good luck bro and welcome to the forum. But if you haven't been to the "Introduce yourself" section, please do so now. It's just proper forum etiquette.
fatdaddy.
Looking at the pics again, It looks like the rear engine mount is not tight and right. It looks like someone tried to make it tight with electrical tape. This WILL NOT work. Your engine will be loose and will throw a chain in a heartbeat. This is probably why there wasn't a chain with the bike. The guy threw a chain, twisted it up and threw it away. You have to get the rear mount right before you can even try to start it. Do not use rubber to mount it. Some people try and it almost never works. You can try a half round peice of steel pipe to take up the space. Just slide it in under the rear mount strap. The best engine mount should be metal to metal.
When you can grab the engine and grab the frame and try very hard to move the engine, and you CAN'T, then it's tight enough.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Get some quality tools in order to work on your bike. A tap and die set can come in very handy. Drill bit set. Sockets, wrench set, alan wrench set, tape measure and so on.

knownanonym

Jul 17, 2013
San Francisco
Thanks for all the advice fatdaddy! I noticed that the tensioner was all chewed up so I knew there was some sort of alignment issue, it would've taken me ages to realize it was the mount itself though!
& as far as I can tell I did post this in the introduction forum right? Let me know if I'm wrong! I haven't been active on any forums for a while now.
Thanks again!

P.S. It's sis, not bro. =]

knownanonym

Jul 17, 2013
San Francisco
Thanks L R Jerry! Only things I'm missing are the right size tap & dies. I'll make sure to pick those up when I go in to look for better quality screws.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks L R Jerry! Only things I'm missing are the right size tap & dies. I'll make sure to pick those up when I go in to look for better quality screws.
You really don't need a complete tap and die set so save your money.

The side cover screws are metric 6 mm 1.0 which is the size of a
lot of the bolts and studs on your kit.

Get some 6 mm allen head bolts from Ace hardware or similar.

Did you get a chain yet? Ace hardware also sells 41 chain which
works really well.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Thanks for all the advice fatdaddy! I noticed that the tensioner was all chewed up so I knew there was some sort of alignment issue, it would've taken me ages to realize it was the mount itself though!
& as far as I can tell I did post this in the introduction forum right? Let me know if I'm wrong! I haven't been active on any forums for a while now.
Thanks again!

P.S. It's sis, not bro. =]
Sorry Sis, There are too few sisters on motorized bicycles, Glad to have you aboard.
fatdaddy.

knownanonym

Jul 17, 2013
San Francisco
Thanks 2door! I loosened it while removing the clutch arm cover, was definitely planning on readjusting it before starting it up again. Thanks for the link! Saved me a lot of reading, aha

Thanks MotorBicyclingRacing! I was having a hard time finding chain!