Bottom Engine Assembly MESSED up...

GoldenMotor.com

boomarkert

Aug 12, 2012
Milwaukee
So my engine (66cc Skyhawk GT5) has been running HORRIBLY, and I decided to open up the motor... The clutch cover had a ground down ring inside where the three pins sticking out of the bigger gear are... The whole assembly inside the case was pushed over about 2mm!!!!! The screw on the smaller gear was all loosened and bent.

I was able to push the whole assembly back to the correct side by using a hammer and a piece of wood, then I tightened the screw that was loose...
After riding it again for a little bit, I'm pretty sure it slipped right back out of place.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?! And how do I fix it?
This new build is really starting to make me lose interest in these things :(. Getting too angry lol

Buzzerbiker

Sep 27, 2012
kalispell MT.
Bad deal on that, sorry. Once these things run loose a while they tend to wear a pattern in the shaft, and/or gear, and want to return to the worn spot. IF you have not too much play where these parts are supposed to ride, you can realign and use Loctite sleeve retainer on the shaft and pins, then, put Loctite 262 to secure fasteners. If you have a minor wear pattern, you could build it up with JB weld and file to size, again use 262 on fasteners. I have no experience with this engine, but these are general procedures that may save you from trashing the engine, and get a little satisfaction turning a bad experience into useful knowledge. I once saved a Honda camshaft using JB weld. The car was not worth the price of a new cam, so we made do, It still runs! Best of luck to you.:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd pull both the clutch & drive gear to check that they are both seated on the taper AND have the woodruff key in place - seen a lot of new engines in which one of those keys was jambed in behind rather than in the slot

also, look for a crack in the drive gear right above the key slot

Buzzerbiker

Sep 27, 2012
kalispell MT.
Sorry, bairdco, I was making an assumption he was OUT of warranty. Maybe, maybe not. When out, there are many solutions,and opportunities. Speaking from 52 years as a master powertrain tech. Thanks usflg

boomarkert

Aug 12, 2012
Milwaukee
Thanks for the replies guys... I'm trying to contact the place I got it from to get it replaced.. I am definitely still within warranty period, so hopefully they'll help me out. I just hope they pay for the shipping too, I don't have much cash at the moment :(