Boy if ya thought I wuz dense...

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh grew strongly between 2001 and 2011 and is by far the most densely populated urban area in the world. Dhaka's density is estimated at 115,000 per square mile or 44,000 per square kilometer, with slum (informal dwelling) densities reported report up 4,210 per acre, or 2.7 million per square mile (1 million per square kilometer). At this density, all of the world's 3.7 billion urban residents could be accommodated in an area approximately equal to that of the Washington (DC-MD-VA) urban area. The density of the US is 84 people per square mile. Canada has just over 9 people per square mile! We just don't realise how good we have it here!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
We just don't realize how good we have it here!

Oh, I do!!

Most recent estimates place the gross domestic product per capita of Bangladesh at under $1,500 annually (purchasing power parity). Dhaka is very likely the world’s poorest megacity.

Just for comparison....
World......01. Democratic Republic of Congo (GDP – per capita: $300)

1. Mississippi (poorest)
Median income: $36,850
Poverty rate: 21.3% (the highest)
1. New Hampshire (wealthiest)
Median income: $66,303
Poverty rate: 7.1% (the lowest)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
report up to 4,210 (people) per acre
That is 1,052 people on a 1/4 acre. My house is a single level 3 bedroom 1800sf on a 1/4 acre lot but all the way to the front of property so a pretty good sized back yard.
I can sit here at my desk and see the back yard and just trying to imagine 1,052 people here. I can't, not unless they were dead and stacked up like cord wood.

Granted this a suburban home lot and single level.
The only way to pack people like that and give them room to even move is to build up.
China does that pretty well, they pack workers in like sardines too but they can all at least move around.

Do I know how well I have it? You bet your ass I do and why I live here ;-}