Help! Why isn't this thing working!?!?

GoldenMotor.com

Motorized

Jan 17, 2012
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

I bought a used motorized bicycle and it's been nothing but trouble. From what I was told it is a "80cc" RAW 2-stroke engine kit (though I know apparently the actual CC's are less). I never had one of these things before so at first it kept dying on me, but once I got the hang of it (or so I thought), it seemed to work OK. Then it started dying on me (one and off) again.

I removed the spark plug (thinking maybe it was going bad) but couldn't find a replacement; then I put it back in and it hasn't been working since. It seems like the engine is turning but it wont fire up. On top of that somehow my electrical (which the guy before me had wired precariously) had come apart so I put it back together based on the wiring diagram circulating online (black to black, blue to blue, with green spliced into black and red/yellow spliced into blue).

So now I really can't tell what's going on. Did I somehow mis-wire something (I checked and it seems to be OK), is the spark plug not inserted correctly (how can I be sure if it is?) or is the engine flooded? Essentially, when I try to start it, I can't tell what the problem may be of those three things. Also, the fuel line seems to not be letting fuel through sometimes (as if there were a vacuum).

Can anybody suggest a systematic way for me to be sure which of those things work/don't work so that I can isolate the problem?

Thanks a lot, any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Make sure the gas cap is vented. On a lot of the stock tanks the vent in the cap is faulty.

Next try to tell if you're getting spark.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
To check for spark; Pull the spark plug out & then put the wire back on the plug... Then touch the threads of the plug to the engine (to ground it) & have someone spin the back wheel (with the clutch lever OUT) so the wheel is spinning the engine, & watch for the sparks!

Motorized

Jan 17, 2012
Los Angeles
OK guys, thanks for the tips. I made an investigative breakthrough that I think may solve the problem.

I had told you in the first post that the wires had come undone and I rewired them correctly (according to the RAW manual), which was black to black, blue to blue, ground (green) spliced to black and the red-yellow cable spliced to blue. (I used follow the wiring schematic found here:
Wiring 2 Stroke RAW Engine Kit)

Anyway, I just found out that when purchasing the bicycle somebody had taken a photo of it and, having enlarged that photo, discovered that the guy I bought it from had green spliced into the blue wire. It worked that way (I bought it after test-driving it for a while), so I'm assuming he put the wiring together correctly but reversed the colors.

I have two questions:

Is it a safe assumption that he did in fact just wire it correctly but reverse the colors?

After the cables came undone and I wired it "correctly" (according to the schematic), is it possible that I actually damaged/blew out the CDI (the black electrical box)?

If I may have blown that, is it possible to buy those somewhere locally in Los Angeles and how much are they? Is it worth it to replace it or could mis-wiring be too costly to repair?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm at my wits end with this thing. Thanks biknut and Venice for the reply.

-Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The two wires from the kill switch might be any combination of colors. Wire color has no bearing on the ignition system. All the kill switch does is momentarily connect the two wires coming from it. To kill the engine you need to connect the blue to the black wires. That's all the kill switch does. Wire color is unimportant. You did nothing wrong.
Tom

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
The most important diagnoses after you correct/connect the wires is, do you have a spark?
If you still don't have a spark replace the magneto, it is a weak point in these engines.