Fill it fulla' lead.

GoldenMotor.com

carpespasm

May 13, 2011
NE Florida
Being as the motor mounts are source of agony for folks on here, and the quality of the studs and aluminum castings are often to blame, I figured this might be a worthwhile thing to do and to share. I filled my tube to motor mounting block (not sure if it has a more technical name) with lead. My thinking is that the extra metal might help it take strain a little better, though I don't think it's likely under much anyway if the motor's been mounted correctly.

Either way, it felt kinda thin and brittle, so I just wanted to make it more substantial and I it gave me a reason to melt metal and use a blow torch this morning. dance1

Anyone know of these parts ever breaking or if this is of any practical use?

Last edited:

carpespasm

May 13, 2011
NE Florida
Fixed it. Thanks for the heads up. And somehow in editing it I deleted the post.

Anyway, long story short I filled my hollow frame mounting block with lead this morning to give it a little more solid feel. Not sure if it's actually going to help anything, but I know the aluminum casting is pretty brittle and I figure it can't hurt. Anyone ever heard of this piece in particular breaking or being trouble?

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Carpes.

LOL Bill, one minute too. Yrs back, I went off on a tirade about some thing and a buddy here had a differing opinion and posted, according to the time stamp, the same minute and it looked like I was angrily disagreeing with him.