bike shop chain might not be a great idea

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I went down to the bike store to get a chain and this turned out to be a bad idea, the chain itsself was a little too short so I added a few links from my old chain that was also little too short to fit my new bike. (it was sized for a different bike)
The chain itself was fine and the right size but for whatever reason the master link from that chain had a tendency to get jammed in the engine sprocket and this caused my last engine to break.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I never have liked the master links. I prefer a nice chain breaker tool that will press the pin out and then back in. Hence no master link to get jammed up on the engine sprocket.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
that may be a better way of doing it, although I have a really cheap chain breaker and I never tried putting a chain together using it. I'm not sure how effective it would be for that purpose. Maybe I should try practicing on an old chain.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Master links sure are handy, but chains do a lil better without them, I think. Master links make chains shake around more, out of balance and that minute difference in length where the ends meet.

Peppers: just make sure your new link moves freely and you're pretty good to go. If the link keeps sticking you need a better tool like a Park, but you can still work it out with some patience! If in doubt, remove and redrive the link pin :D