the pitfalls of impatience, and non-fuel resistant paint

GoldenMotor.com

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
well I managed to spring a pinhole leak in my tank today due to vibration, luckily already had the jbweld out for another project, however I didnt catch it in time to save the front of the tank, or the bikes bars below from getting royally F'ed up!
Oh well, guess I'll just have to choose from the limited pallet of engine enamels I can find....and yes it's eaten down to the primer on the bike and clear through on the tank..made one helluva gummy mess! also ate away some/most of the sprayfoam molding I'd done under the tank

Attachments

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You can use Duplicplor touchup aerosol paints and topcoat with clear engine enamel. I've done several motorcycle tanks this way with good results.
When mixing brands of aerosols, you need to try a test piece, or wait about 4 weeks to cure before clearcoating

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
yeah the first time I tried clear coating with enamel on top of ?-based paint an she crinkled up and laughed at me like a bratty child...:(

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i know the feeling. same thing has happened to me a few times.

i ordered some Top Flight Lustrekote (look in the link from 2door above) but it got sent to the wrong address, returned to them, and now it's on it's way back to me...