El Burro Loco

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Happy Birthday to Me! I'm loco inna cabeza si.

So I needed me a MadAss and this one's on it's way;

I always thought these were cool, the ultimate "naked bike"

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It ain't naked till you ditch those fenders!

Might wanna down-size those mirrors too.....so they don't slap you in the face....

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The advice from a motorcycle journalist and part time racer I know who tested one, the bike is mostly ok but if you intend going mental on it, get a better rear shock.

As for "ditching fender", remember the front one has an auxiliary important function. It braces the fork legs together and stops unwanted flexing. Better yet, if the bike follows the modern fashion of a spring in one leg and the damper in the other, they definitely benefit from being connected at the top as well as the bottom.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The fenders are staying, they look good.

The motor is the 50cc, the 125's had EPA problems. But I've got that little problem taken care of;

Mine is going to be a 150cc via this Piranha YX transplant. Gets raves re power, smoothness and responsiveness. Supposed to make 14 HP which is a pretty good state of tune for a 150.

I'll ride it a bit as a 50cc and get it licensed that way and then when the plate comes it's transplant time - :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
How long does the oil survive in there? That sort of engine gets raced here, and they get extremely hot with not a lot of sump capacity.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I dunno. There are a ton of oil coolers available though.

Not planning on doing any racing, but I would like to do 60 MPH on the country roads here. Not planning on hitting the freeways either.

The thing just looks all "goofy-cool" with the gas going in the frame. Just another toy to play with in my retirement - :)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The advice from a motorcycle journalist and part time racer I know who tested one, the bike is mostly ok but if you intend going mental on it, get a better rear shock.

As for "ditching fender", remember the front one has an auxiliary important function. It braces the fork legs together and stops unwanted flexing. Better yet, if the bike follows the modern fashion of a spring in one leg and the damper in the other, they definitely benefit from being connected at the top as well as the bottom.
A fork brace made out of carbon fiber would look way cooler and offer less flexing than the flimsy low fender. Besides, it doesn't rain in California ;)

The stock muffler looks like a bit of a rump roaster......a SuperTrapp would tidy up the rear end and sound cool on that thing.

Get naked....

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The shipping co. called today and my MadAss will be arriving Thursday sometime between 1 and 5. Hehe, yup just like the cable guys!

The motor is already here. Hehe, yup just like the Motoped. Motor first, chassis later.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks.

Yup, the big "six oh", dawn of a new decade. I hurt my back cleaning out a closet and then hurt it again filling up (2) 90 gallon toters with yard debris. I ache. Can't even ride a bike for fear of pain. The joys of ageing.

Pops once told me these are called "the golden years" but he thought they were more like the "brass years" Me thinks he was right.

So, maybe inna a week or so I'll go for a ride. I'm dreading hurting myself getting it out of that crate and into the garage.

Sucks.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's here!

Pretty cool eh?

Notice it has no shifter? 2 speed auto tranny. Really cool. Why? Perfect for Motoped.

I gots me a little trash to dispose of too.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If it's 2 speed mechanical change, when it starts to want to change up, ease the throttle a bit and it slips into top easer. Then nail it again.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I managed to uncrate/box it with no pain. Back is much better. I was ouching up a storm on Tuesday. It fired right up and I put a couple of miles on it around the "hood"

It has a rev limiter on it that holds it to 45 KmPH. Motor has a lot more room.

It should be easy to defeat the limiter and put a big bore kit on it which would really be perfect for the Motoped. The MadAss is getting the 150cc Piranha which should make it fast like the wind.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Looks like its got some good brakes! This looks much better than the little 'step through' mopeds you see whizzing around here IMO.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Went to DMV to register it and I need to bring the bike in for inspection.

Am I glad I didn't start modifying it - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Success!

It wasn't easy though. The inspection lady needed to verify the engine number which I wrote down after removing the sprocket cover. Luckily it was visible below but she was on her knees looking. The inspection was all about emissions, it is EPA but not CARB. Little problem.

Inside guy cannot find it in the computer. Tells me it can't be registered. WTF? I say the dealer said it was OK, I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't reg it. He goes out and looks and says "see, it's EPA and not CARB and it's out of state so it needs 7500 miles or we can't reg it. I tell him that the dealer said the 50cc was OK, but not the 125.

We go back in. He really likes the bike too, thinks it's cool and wants one himself...

Finally he finds the proper "exemption code", if it's under 50cc it's OK. Paperwork states 49.5. Woo-hoo!

Got a plate and a reg and the title is coming by mail. In like Flint - :)