Manual Clutch for 3/4" Crankshaft (Replacement for Centrifugal)

GoldenMotor.com

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Velodrome:

I ordered it on their website.

I did call them, but it went to voice mail & I never got a call back from my message.

I will try again to contact them on monday.

If they are out of stock I can wait a bit, but they really should make that known.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Disappointed yet again.
*sighs*
I'm so tired of being teased with a decent manual clutch for Briggs flatties that never quite makes it to production.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I apologize for not posting sooner. I did receive the clutch a couple of weeks after my post.

It is a nice looking unit, and I will be putting it in a build soon.

Brad

feelyx

Jun 30, 2012
sac. ca 95821
I've been trying to access their website to buy one, but it seems to be down or it has moved or something. I want one to do a 2 speed set up with it being the primary clutch.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
i"m working with it now. I have to completely rework the jackshaft position as the spacing between the clutch sprocket and my rear wheel sprocket is 3.16". It doesn't help that my motor was mounted 1/4" off to the left neither. Anyhow, the clutch sprocket is 4.75" to the left of the bike's center line for my setup. If I have my shaft on the seat tube, and the sprocket installed, it would eat my thigh up. So I tried using the SBP HD freewheel but the 206mm (just over 8") spindle is too short, and with a 54t sprocket installed, it probably would eat my calf up if I'm not careful. I ended up fabing the jack shaft in front of the down tube. I feel a little safer with it in the front.

Spindle too short

I still plan on utilizing the spindle to drive the rear wheel. With the shaft mount up front, I have enough room for disk brake, and also to drive dc permanent magnet to recharge the battery.

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Hi Brad, did you get to try this clutch out on a build?
thanks
Neil:

I had it on a bike for a little bit. Works well, bump starts are good. Ran it hard for a few days to check it out.

I am in the middle of changing the 35 chain setup. Running over 6000 with 35 chain in the primary is not the best thing to do. A few days had the 35 chain beat up a little.

On a lower revving engine like a 212 it should be a very nice clutch.

Brad

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Neil:

I had it on a bike for a little bit. Works well, bump starts are good. Ran it hard for a few days to check it out.

I am in the middle of changing the 35 chain setup. Running over 6000 with 35 chain in the primary is not the best thing to do. A few days had the 35 chain beat up a little.

On a lower revving engine like a 212 it should be a very nice clutch.

Brad
Hey Brad.
Please bring that clutch on a bike to the race this Saturday! :D
thanks.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
After talking with Wolfe at the race yesterday, my chain issue may have been some crap chain. Thanks for the heads up.

I bought 35 chain from the same place I buy my 219, 420 & 40 chain, so I figured it was just operating beyond it's speed capacity. Wolfe is running a 35 chain in an 8 mile race 50% faster than I was without issue.

I will put the clutch back on a bike & try it again. Never had any trouble with the clutch, just the chain. It is a decent clutch, a little different fell than a wet multi-plate motorcycle clutch. It feels very much like the dry single plate on my 1926 Harley.

Brad

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
These could also be used on 5/8 shafts with an adapter bushing. But I don't think they are being mass produced. Pity. I'd use one on my upcoming predator build. Engines with manual clutches can still be pull started with the clutch disengaged.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
These had a large thread on the OMB forum. The developer hasnt posted in over a year ( just ) They are no longer available reading in other posts there. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/g...anual-clutch-review-thread-14.html#post834652 The developer was briggsscooter2 I have one going on a Flying merkle build eventually. I hope it works. Many failures in higher HP applications like HF212 ect. Mines going on a GX100 So it might last.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I never thought those manual dry type clutches would hold up, but if they're put on a small engine if they aren't pushed to hard and used in a clean environment.