Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I finally got to see another MB rider on the streets here! I don't know who it was, but definitely a CG, and it sounded really good! (Near UT Tyler)

Even though I haven't been doing much riding, it's good to see someone else out enjoying the few days of nice (non raining) weather.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Yeah, it was the only one that I have actually seen on the streets. They come up on CL quite a bit, usually for around $850. I don't know who is buying them, but I don't see them around.

Every now and then I think about building another one, but with all my other projects, the budget won't really allow it (not to mention the lack of space).

Maybe in the future I'll use one of the 50cc KTM engines that Duane sells . . .

HEMBRANT12

May 21, 2015
Richardson
I'm new to the forum and am thinking of building my first china girl bike. Does anyone have any experience riding in the Richardson area? Just wondering and worried about the cops giving me issues.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm new to the forum and am thinking of building my first china girl bike. Does anyone have any experience riding in the Richardson area? Just wondering and worried about the cops giving me issues.
I've ridden in Richardson, Garland, Dallas, and Plano with no problems at all. I've ridden straight down main street past the Richardson Police department, and never had a problem. As long as you follow all the normal rules of the road for any bicycle they'll all leave you alone.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
Don't know about Richardson area but TX in general seems to be pretty lax on mb's . I'm in Lufkin TX and have no problems . The one time I was stopped it was mostly because they had never seen one before . That was on my first build a 49cc / 50cc they looked at it had me follow them to the local PS in Hudson TX where they went over all the books to find out something to get me for said that 49cc was legal no tags or license needed . Ended up telling me wear my helmet (I sometimes do) and tossed me an orange safety said wear that . I did wear the vest and kept it in my basket , but a squirrel decided to use the vest as a nest lining took it way up in the top of the tree . If this is your first build I suggest the 66cc motor as it will climb hill easier . There are no markings on it to say 66cc so don't tell them if stopped . Most police don't care just as long as you are not being crazy stop at stop signs etc. . Anyway good luck and have fun .

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
As long as you follow all the rules of the road for a bicycle you shouldn't have any problems unless you look like you're only about 12 yrs old.

I've ridden extensively in Richardson, Dallas, Garland, and Plano with no problems.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't have any riding experience in the area in question but Biknut is right. Ride responsibly, defensively, courteously... then rip it up when the coast is clear and is safe to do so. I always wear a proper motorcycle helmet and signal etc. If you do get stopped by the police, never ask them if they don't have something better to do. Not that I have ever done that. I know better. With a few cops in the family I can tell you that it's an invitation to write you up on anything they can.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
I wonder if I should start thinking about putting pontoons on my bike . Make the rear wheel a paddle . I am getting tired of all the rain . I really don't have a good excuse to complain I live on a hill but others around here have flood problems .

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I've been in Longview a couple months, I have to replace my fork, so I'm not riding, there is a guy selling China Girls on Thruster frames on Facebook in this area.

There is not even a bike shop in this city, it's sad.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I've been in Longview a couple months, I have to replace my fork, so I'm not riding, there is a guy selling China Girls on Thruster frames on Facebook in this area.

There is not even a bike shop in this city, it's sad.
Welcome to East Texas.

Unfortunately, this whole area is not bicycle (or MB) friendly.

bakers.bakery

Jul 18, 2015
Irving TX
Hey I'm new to the forum I've found a lot of helpful tips, is anyone riding in the denton area, I'm going to be attending UNT this fall and chose a 4 stroke MB for my transportation. Any tips would be appreciated.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey I'm new to the forum I've found a lot of helpful tips, is anyone riding in the denton area, I'm going to be attending UNT this fall and chose a 4 stroke MB for my transportation. Any tips would be appreciated.
Legally you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you pedal away from stops. In Texas all motor vehicles are considered self propelled, so are long as you can argue that you need to pedal away from stops, you should be fine. In other words you don't want to let the police see you riding away from a stop like a motorcycle.

Very few people are ever hassled riding motor bicycles in Texas.

bakers.bakery

Jul 18, 2015
Irving TX
thank you! That is a good tip to ensure no trouble. I'm assuming Texas police officers are pretty flexible. I've never seen one in Irving, but I've been thinking of one for a while and this form has really reassured my choice.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
thank you! That is a good tip to ensure no trouble. I'm assuming Texas police officers are pretty flexible. I've never seen one in Irving, but I've been thinking of one for a while and this form has really reassured my choice.
You'll have more fun, and the level of acceptance will be a lot better if you go electric.

Gas bikes are about as welcome as a skunk on the bike trails, but electrics are not a problem at all as long as you keep your speed down.

bakers.bakery

Jul 18, 2015
Irving TX
You'll have more fun, and the level of acceptance will be a lot better if you go electric.

Gas bikes are about as welcome as a skunk on the bike trails, but electrics are not a problem at all as long as you keep your speed down.
I would think that electric is considered more eco friendly, however i didn't really consider electric. I have no place to plug it up at my dorm, and i grew up on gas motorcycles so it was a no brainer for me. I'm hoping to silence my exhaust so its not as loud.