Tubes with slime

GoldenMotor.com

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I hit a pile of glass last week. Poked a hole in my tire. If i didn't have my inner tubes with the slime sealant i would have been sitting along side the road!!! Check it out. Wally carry's em! Its worth the extra couple bucks to make it home from work!.we.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Bought one from Schwinn (Quality?) one day later flat..
Pump it back up and keep it rolling for at least 5 minutes. They'll most likely seal up, as long as whatever caused the puncture is not still in the tire. That's how Slime works. They may go flat again after sitting awhile, just pump em back up and roll some more! :D

Tubes manually Slime'd tend to work better than pre-Slime'd tubes. Either way, carry a pump and keep em rolling!

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Why do they make them so damn thin, like condom thin?
So when they get a hole, they really get a hole.

I had a slime tube for a very short time and a 2cm gash one day, that ain't sealing!
Better off getting a thick tube, I have thick tubes on my bike now and no flats all last summer, and a lot of off road use too.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I buy pre-filled Slime tubes at Walmart for $8/pop. They are pretty thick, and in 3 years I've never once had a flat or had a pump clog. I swear by them, and I'll never run anything else.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Why do they make them so damn thin, like condom thin?
So when they get a hole, they really get a hole.

I had a slime tube for a very short time and a 2cm gash one day, that ain't sealing!
Better off getting a thick tube, I have thick tubes on my bike now and no flats all last summer, and a lot of off road use too.
I have had exactly ONE flat since buying the extra-thick tubes, and I ride (almost) every single day. My MTB is my ONLY transportation.
( I ran over a 3-1/2" drywall screw and it went all the way through.)
Slime works better than nothing, but not as well as thick tubes. I don't like slime because it makes patching harder and messier.
You won't regret buying extra-thick tubes.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Thick tubes and Slime go together quite well. And yes, patching a Slime-filled tube is really hard, if not impossible.
I consider myself a pro tube patcher (literally done it hundreds of times) and I've never been able to get a patch to stick to a Slime'd tube for very long.

As I mentioned in another post, Michelin has a new tube out that's supposed to squeeze punctures shut, and it has a Slime equivalent in it as well.
They're called Protek Max and run $8-$12 depending on where you look. Those of you who live in flat-prone areas might want to try em out.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Some complain of not being able to patch a slime tube.
What's better, a self sealing tube or a roadside tube patching?
Or, if you must, carry a spare tube, saved our butts one time, isn't it amazing when you get a flat, and you actually have a brand new tube with you?....And a small pump.

Patch the tube, or just buy a new one?

I think I will buy some slime, been looking at bottles of it. A flat in the middle of nowhere blows chunks.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I just put some extra thick 5x slime tube on and the next day I got a little nail in it and tire went flat.So I pull it out and aired it up and it sealed it up.It's been about a month ago tire is still aired up now, there great tubes spend the extra money for the thick one there worth every penny of it.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi all i had slime in my tubes hit a small bit of glass started leaking so i stoped removed the glass put the small hole on the bottem it stop leaking in 2 to 3 seconds. rode it for two months befor i pulled the tube out and patched it with slime scabs.

still hold air to this day.
i like the stuff, there is two kinds, tube and tubless make shure you get the right one.
Don P

whipaway

Mar 15, 2013
NY
Last season, I had a tube that would lose air and go flat within a week. I added some slime to it, and rode it all summer without adding any air. I just pulled the bike out after storage all winter, and the tire still has enough air in it to go riding. Yes, it lost some air, but I attribute that to the normal loss of air from a tube.

Last edited:

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
again, slime is great!
but somethings slime will NOT stand up to...

like a 2" spike thru the tire :s
got one today... straight in the bottom of the rubber and out thru the sidewall ... almost thru me for a loop. luckily i felt it go down b4 the tire decided to go sideways into the curb.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Even slime won't fix everything...

Tore the valve stem out at about 25 mph...ruined a $20 dollar xtrathick tube
This is what happens when you get lazy about air pressure for too long.