front brake shoes for Schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
OH MY GOD!
Now there is something older than dinosaur poop!
Jeez... it looks older than I am.
Great find!
Unfortunately, looking for replacement shoes is like looking for unicorns for that hub. Schwinn changed hands a few times since that beast was built.
Those haven't been manufactured for over 30years, I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm not saying its impossible, but you might want to consider repop drum hubs and new double walled rims.
I have heard of car brake manufacturers relining brake shoes for certain older models, but i dont think they will do some thing so small.
Does that engine even turn over?
Very cool old bike.
Good luck
BBB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
maybe you can dissasemble a large centrivical clutch or get just the friction material and re-line them

Dirt Nerd

Apr 15, 2009
Erie, Co
@ buzbikebklyn1 - ha, yeah, it's gonna be a challenge but completely doable.

@ corgi1 - thanks for the tips. I think i'm gonna have to buy a new front brake for the time being. This schwinn hub is my holy grail right now.

Dirt Nerd

Apr 15, 2009
Erie, Co
so, i dug and i dug, and while on the phone w/ Harvey from Memory Lane Classics, he suggested i give Brian a call at Cook Bonding and Mfg. in Cleveland, OH.

They do heavy industrial clutch and brake stuff, but also known to the classic car and bike groups too. Didn't even flinch when i mentioned it was for a Schwinn expander brake. The price was reasonable and turn around time was shockingly quick.

Cook Bonding & Mfg
701 W Schaaf Rd
Cleveland, OH 44109

800 626 6540

Home Page