Fat brake for fat tires

GoldenMotor.com

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Hey fellow motorbikers, I put a fat 55mm Conti tire on a Genesis 29er and my cheesy caliper brake won't reach around it and grab the rim without hitting the sidewall first. I looked around for a brake advertised as workable on fat tires but none are obvious.
:-||
There are cantilevers that would work, but there's no mounts or cable brackets on the aluminum frame to use them, and I have no access to tig, mig or stick welders anyway. The fork is steel.
A disc or drum would be an expensive change, I sure could use an oversized caliper brake of the ordinary cheap kind.
Anyone know of one that will work?
Thanks in advance for any info.
~ Sloggo

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Pics of what you're working with? What's the distance from brake mount hole to rim brake surface center? Long pull BMX brakes come to mind, but measurements would help confirm that.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I took a quick measure, it's about 3 3/4" or 95 mm from the pivot down to the rim's flat brake area. My brake reaches that far, but needs a bigger arch out around the fat tire to clear and get in to the fairly narrow rim. I have considered shimming the brake pads to reach in there, but that wouldn't be my first choice.
I already put my stock tire back on for now, the fatty was just too wide to work with that brake.
Here it is with the big tires.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
techtro makes a caliper with compound lever action that will stop a truck - they are oversized compared to standard brakes too - also, some companies make cheaper clones that seem to work as well & are still large

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
techtro makes a caliper with compound lever action that will stop a truck - they are oversized compared to standard brakes too - also, some companies make cheaper clones that seem to work as well & are still large
Thanks, Crass..
I'll look into those.