Engine slows to a stop. Overheating? (Short Story)

GoldenMotor.com

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
[RESOLVED]Engine slows to a stop. Overheating?

Alright guys, so this engine is less than a week old, and less than 15 miles, correct mixtures of fuel and everything. One day, I took the bike out on a pretty chilly evening, and ran fine all the way to my local grocery store. Rode it not too fast, just nice and slow and everything ran fine. However, on the way back (15 minutes later), I wanted to get home in a hurry. I went more hectic and aggressive on the bike this time, I just gave it more throttle more often, with less stopping, etc. So finally, I get to the bottom of the hill where my house sits atop, and normally, the engine will run a little slower because of the incline but nevertheless, it would usually make it just fine. But since this time it was coming back home with a little more heat on it, it fortunately made it to the top of the hill just at the perfect spot, then I disengage the clutch, and the engine cuts off. I thought to myself, "Ok, I was going to hit the kill switch anyways." But in the back of my mind I knew this was not a good sign. So about 4 days later (today) I tried starting it, and it just won't start. I tried diagnosing the problem:

RESOLVED: Replaced the CDI

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
search here for info on "engine not starting" lots of good advice

first, however, see if you have a spark

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Here's a couple of no-start guides to help you diagnose your problem. Could be several things wrong: kill switch; crappy stock spark plug; crappy stock spark plug wire; CDI; magneto coil (you can't tell by looking at it. You have to test with a DDM for Ohms); faulty CDI (test with DDM); crappy stock spark plug boot; loose spark plug wire from CDI; magneto coil not grounded; loose wiring connections; and a bad ground.

First remove the kill switch and second check if you have spark and third see if you have a wet spark plug. It has to be fuel or spark.

Did you clean out the gas tank before you filled it with fuel?

If the engine got wet or you rode it in the rain, the magneto coil maybe corroded.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/2 cycle engine trouble shooting guide.html

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Is your head tight, if air was leaking in it could cause a lean condition and or loss of compression.
You are supposed to check that frequently on a new motor.

I may be completely wrong about this and is only my first guess opinion.

CharlieHustle

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland Hts Ohio
its the gas flow from your gas tank unscrew your gas cap next time that happens right before you stop and watch what happens. I drilled a very tiny hole in my gas cap to vent it runs fine and doesn't stall at all.And I've gotten her to idle good!!

ajorcutt

Jan 28, 2013
Montana
its the gas flow from your gas tank unscrew your gas cap next time that happens right before you stop and watch what happens. I drilled a very tiny hole in my gas cap to vent it runs fine and doesn't stall at all.And I've gotten her to idle good!!
What size drill bit did you use? I have been having a huge problem with the fuel flowing into the carb..:-||

ajorcutt

Jan 28, 2013
Montana
What size drill bit did you use? I have been having a huge problem with the fuel flowing into the carb..:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As small as you can find. 1/16" is much too much. Also if you drill don't line up the holes in the top and bottom of the cap. Drill one at 12:00 and the other at 6:00 o'clock. That will help to keep fuel from splashing out.

Are you sure it is a venting problem and not a clogged filter or petcock? Did you clean the tank before installing it?

Tom

ajorcutt

Jan 28, 2013
Montana
Possibly a bit of both. I tested the flow with the fuel line disconnected from the carb and it was a little weak. The flow slows to a drip when the gas tank cap is fully secure but stays steady when it isscrewed.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Possibly a bit of both. I tested the flow with the fuel line disconnected from the carb and it was a little weak. The flow slows to a drip when the gas tank cap is fully secure but stays steady when it isscrewed.
That is a good indication that the cap is not venting. A common problem. The factory sometimes doesn't drill the holes or they get plugged with dirt/oil. They aren't very big.

Tom

ajorcutt

Jan 28, 2013
Montana
Venting problem is fixed but now I only get good torque for a couple seconds and then lose all power and won't idle. Could it be the spark plug? Or to much oil in fuel? Please help!

ajorcutt

Jan 28, 2013
Montana
Nope just went thru the whole carb and no change. Cleaned spark plug also. Could I need a new one? It runs good for maybe 60 seconds, then won't get any t