Making a Harbor Freight engine look vintage/antique?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Another blue sky thought about the dipper...

Perhaps removing the cast “finger” and replacing it with a simple piece of flat stock that weights the same but is at an angle closer to the original orientation would make it splash more correctly?

What say you?

-Kirk
I dont think this would work either and dont see that it would actually make a difference in the issue of the crankshaft counter balances running directly in a large amount of oil in the crankcase, these engines only take about 14oz of oil to fill and it is recommended that they are not over filled with oil, this is for a reason.

look at the pic and you will notice a big difference in the way these rods are designed VS the Briggs type in the pic you listed.

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I dont think this would work either and dont see that it would actually make a difference in the issue of the crankshaft counter balances running directly in a large amount of oil in the crankcase, these engines only take about 14oz of oil to fill and it is recommended that they are not over filled with oil, this is for a reason.

look at the pic and you will notice a big difference in the way these rods are designed VS the Briggs type in the pic you listed.
Why are you stuck on the crank hitting the oil thing?

It wouldn't be hard for a skilled person to figure out how to maintain proper oil level , at the original distance from crank, where the counterweights DO NOT hit the oil, and devise a different dipper, then there shouldn't be any oil windage problem. I

If anything, the valvetrain may see slightly LESS oil in the upright positon, more out of the way of the oil splash from the dipper.

Do you disagree with this?

Wayne Z

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

It wouldn't be hard for a skilled person to figure out how to maintain proper oil level , at the original distance from crank, where the counterweights DO NOT hit the oil, and devise a different dipper, then there shouldn't be any oil windage problem. I

If anything, the valvetrain may see slightly LESS oil in the upright positon, more out of the way of the oil splash from the dipper.

Wayne Z

Wayne Z, how many of these GX200 engines have you personally built?

If the answer is NONE you are speaking from ZERO experience and as to why I am " Stuck on the crank running in the oil thing NOT hitting the OIL is because that is exactly what it could likely be doing if this engine is tilted at a great angle.

As to "maintaining Proper oil level at the original distance from the crank"

I have added a couple of picks I just took an few minutes ago of an spare new 6.5hp block I have and I put one of my spare cranks in it just to show how the distance of the counter weights changes in what would be the distance to the engine oil as the block is positioned in the vertical cylinder position, the short distance from the crank to the engine block would be where the oil would be, I have not said that I know for a fact this would cause a problem but there is the potential for one IMO with the change in the way it picks up and distributes the oil in the engine.

as to the valve train getting less oil.........not sure on that, but the point I'm trying to make here is that the crank counter weights plunging down into the oil and then hurling a large amount of it up toward the opening that the valve train gets it oil from could and I said could cause to much oil to be slung up into that part of the engine, this may not be an issue at all, I'm not sure on it but knowing again how sensitive these engine are to having proper oiling this concerns me a bit and because of that I will not be quit to tell someone that they can mount one of these engines at an angle that great and it will be OK, to me this is still unproven and I hope if it does work OK and someone does it successfully they will be sure and share it here so we will all know that we can mount these engines this way without concern.

As to whether or not I disagree with anything you said or not is not an issue here IMO, I'm not saying anything I have said is concrete and I;m not saying anything anyone else has said is concrete, until this is done and proven successful we are all shooting in the dark on our opinions to some degree, but myself having built these engines and worked out several issues on them at time know how important the oiling on them is, that is why I raised concern about the question asking if they could be mounted and made to look more like a vintage engine which would put it being mounted with the cylinder in a vertical position or very close to it.

I'm not wanting to offend anyone with what I have said here so please dont take me wrong...!

I have one of these engines built to produce around 14HP and it will push a fairly heavy home built frame I have at over 50 MPH I have about $600 just in the engine so I'm not gonna tilt mine up just to see if it will fry it or not, I do have another one that is stock but I'm not gonna do it either so whoever wants to risk there motor and let us know how it works I say go for it, but it aint gonna be me on this one.

I say save yourself the trouble and just use an old briggs flat head engine and build it up nice, there are still quite a few good parts out there to make them into pretty good engines and they are much easier to make look vintage than the Honda Clones.

Peace !!!!!!

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California

Wayne Z
I agree. Just wanted to point out the importance of correct oil level and the issues of determining exactly where it is after tilting.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Who is it that has argued this point of it working that will be the first to prove it......?

I know I haven't proven that it wont work because I know it could, but others who have rang in on this discussion haven't proven it will either.

We need evidence one way or the other to settle this curiosity and if I've been mistaken about every question I've raised I'll be the first to admit it because I could be dead wrong in my thinking, I'm just afraid of it not oiling right, starve one of these engines for oil just a bit and it will be toast, I've already been down that road with one of them, I guess that's what worries me about mounting one that way.

Peace all, I hope we know for sure some day in the near future, always good to learn something new about something we have or are just curious about.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yes, it's good that you stressed those points. You prolly kept somebody from frying a perfectly good engine because they had no knowledge of those dangers.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yes, it's good that you stressed those points. You prolly kept somebody from frying a perfectly good engine because they had no knowledge of those dangers.
Well maybe or maybe not.........they may run just fine positioned that way,but after I got to thinking about the trouble I had in the past with one of them, I just figured I'd share some things I do know about them but also my concerns with the things I dont reguarding mounting them at such an angle.

Maybe someone will actually mount one like that Wayne Z and then we will al know in time how it works out, maybe this discusion has lit a fire under someone and they will do it just to know for sure if it works alright that way.

Peace

.flg.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Well maybe or maybe not.........they may run just fine positioned that way,but after I got to thinking about the trouble I had in the past with one of them, I just figured I'd share some things I do know about them but also my concerns with the things I dont reguarding mounting them at such an angle.

Maybe someone will actually mount one like that Wayne Z and then we will al know in time how it works out, maybe this discusion has lit a fire under someone and they will do it just to know for sure if it works alright that way.

Peace
CulverCityClassic's monsta 4 stroke build.

CulverCityClassic's not so monsta 4 stroke build.

cobrafreak's bike

Last edited:

wolf-jr

Feb 17, 2012
Culver City
I do appreciate your experience & opinions. Thank you.

My goal is to just simply discuss the possibilities of using one of HF engines...

I really didn’t want to show pictures of my current project until it was more complete but for illustrative proposes here it is. The engine is a 1939 Wisconsin model AK. Yes it does weight 55 lb’s but is rated at 4.2 HP at 2400 rpm’s and has a long throw, I expect good torque.

It suits the era I’m most interested in perfectly and seems to run well (although not road tested yet).

But I do feel I was very fortunate to find it very cheap at a garage sale, I’m not sure I can count on doing that again.

So for my next build I wanted to use something that’s easily available, reliable, and inexpensive, budget is a big issue for me.

-Kirk
Mr. B, that bike looks amazing. I like the motor a lot and the whole setup too, great job!

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Ha, this thread came back...

Kind of funny I started it just prior to when CobraFreak & Lurker first began sharing their builds, I’d say it’s pretty established now that you can indeed run these engines upright!

I think they look damn good upright too, and I’ve been slowly building a old Schwinn cantilever frame with one. I’ve actually made a lot of progress on it lately and will update that thread soon.

-Kirk

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well, after looking at what has been done with mounting these GX200 clones, I can see that obviously all of my long winded concerns were completely for naught......... I have two of these engines just gathering dust so maybe in the future I can also use one to prove myself an idiot for saying so much about my fears of mounting the engines upright...LOL!

I'm very glad I was so wrong about the points I made now because I know I can set one of them up that way without any major worries.

Peace, map

royale with cheese

Jul 21, 2012
Ohio
Now that we know the HF engines can be mounted vertically, has anyone shared their solutions to the oil dipper, intake manifold, etc? Maybe I missed them in my search. I'm doing a 99cc in a Huffy Santa Fe and a trial fit in this position looks promising. Seeing what already works would be a big help.

Thanks!

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Mr. B, that bike looks amazing. I like the motor a lot and the whole setup too, great job!
Yeah Mr B's bike is hands down the nicest, and by far the most detailed bike on this site IMO. If you havent read his full build thread id highly recommend it. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37011

Id never seen this thread, obviously its an old thread. And in hindsight we know that these motors can safely be tilted, so has anyone really pulled off the antique engine look? I know someone previously mentioned a Honda build that was very detailed, im presuming that would be the Dixie Flyer build?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugqoQFza-I&feature=channel&list=UL

Obviously the Dixie Flyer uses a GC 160 but im sure some of the improvements could be carried out on the GX variety engines.

Im definitely interested as ive had a Honda GX160 for over a year, however i only just bought a CVT for it (2 actually but thats another story LOL) so im now thinking of using it for a build.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Now that we know the HF engines can be mounted vertically, has anyone shared their solutions to the oil dipper, intake manifold, etc? Maybe I missed them in my search. I'm doing a 99cc in a Huffy Santa Fe and a trial fit in this position looks promising. Seeing what already works would be a big help.

Thanks!
^^^^Was this question ever answered in this forum?^^^^^^

I ask cuz it's alot easier to mount one of these HF engines vertical, hanging off the seatpost.