~~chain tensioner & hub adapter~~

GoldenMotor.com

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
Possibly the most talked about and controversial items ever known to anyone building a motorized bike. There have literally been hundreds of ideas offered on the various methods to overcome the problems encountered in keeping the chain properly tensioned and sprockets properly aligned. Some of the ideas give a new meaning to Rube Goldberg while others are very innovative and practical. I have tried just about all of them and have come to the conclusion that only two items offered by vendors on this site work and are worth much more than the cost of the parts when you consider ease of installation and safety. They are Kip Springer's chain tensioner and Maniac Mechanic's hub adapter. Both of these items are available from Pirate Cycles.

I am in no way associated with Pirate Cycles or the inventors or receiving any monetary benefits from this shameless plug.

Attachments

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i like both of those designs.
the hub looks great & i'm surprised they are priced as low as they are.

the tensioner also looks great & looks like it works well also.
tho i don't like the price for 2 pieces of flat metal & a spring. they don't include an idler wheel nor a gear. i do understand that in the future they will be cheaper since this was only a first run.

don't get me wrong i ordered some parts from pirate including a billet intake of manic mechanic.
i was extremely happy w/all the service from pirate cycle & manic mechanic part. i wish i ordered my bike & motor from them instead of the another forum sponsor. i also intend on ordering a billet head of manic mechanics from pirate in the future.
i also am not affiliated with neither pirate nor manic mechanic.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
So far I have not used ether product and have not needed them as yet my alternatives have worked flawlessly for me so far. I also am not affiliated with neither pirate nor manic mechanic and I too. I am in no way associated with Pirate Cycles or the inventors or receiving any monetary benefits from this shameless plug.lafflafflaff

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I just ordered the hub adapter & sprocket from Piston Bikes tonight. I am in no way affiliated with Master Mechanic, Piston Bikes, or the NFL. Copies or reproductions cannot be made without the express written consent of the National Football League.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Actually I might have tried one if'n I decided to use a coaster brake set up. But I like to peddle backwards with my cranks at will in light of ruff terrain etc. In light of that a disk brake type hub has worked peachy for me I can find nice heavy duty ones and put grease certs on them and their indestructible. I don't have to take them apart to service them. I can definitely see the allure of it tho. They are true beauties. If I wanted to entertain such a hub.

And I too or the NFL. Copies or reproductions cannot be made without the express written consent of the National Football League.;)