Well..I got pulled over

GoldenMotor.com

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Last night around 9:30 downtown the first thing that he says is "That thing is illegal you know"... I'm like "what do you mean ?" he then asks what size the motor is and tells me where they came from,... I told him I had just got the kit and installed it today { yesterday}... the next cruiser pulls up like they boxed me in type of look,.. he comes up to my bike and says :TUNED PIPE EH ?" i just shrugged my shoulders and gave him the hand in the cookie jar look,.. he kinda laughed...went to the other cruiser for a minute , on his way back to his cruiser he looks at the bike then me and says "Nice bike, good luck"

The officer wrote me up for 3 fines,... one for improper helmet... he says it isnt a motorcycle helmet,... and a driving an unsafe motor vehicle and a driving while under suspension.

When you are handed fines it states the date the offence occured... the driving under suspension charge he wrote down October 14 2010 and crossed it out and wrote in august 14 2010 and the helmet charge he actually left the date October 14 2010 and the proper date on the driving an unsafe vehicle .

He said bei9ng that I pulled over right away and that I didnt seem to be such a bad guy he wont get me for no insurance as well as 7 other ones he actually has written others up for and they are told to pull all motorized bicycles over and throw the book at them.

Needless to say it totally ruined my night and now I have to go to traffic court on November 1 2010

This sucks,... what a major inconvenience

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Dude you may want to delete those pictures. A DL number can give an identity thief a lot to go on!

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Not sure how things are in Ontario but here in Michigan if there's wrong information on a ticket a judge will dismiss it.

I got a ticket in Ontario once, 12 years ago, left without paying it and haven't been back since. From what I understand if I were to get stopped there again I'd get the same ticket as your third one, driving under a suspended license. laff

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Not sure how things are in Ontario but here in Michigan if there's wrong information on a ticket a judge will dismiss it.

I got a ticket in Ontario once, 12 years ago, left without paying it and haven't been back since. From what I understand if I were to get stopped there again I'd get the same ticket as your third one, driving under a suspended license. laff
True... doesnt matter where you go in this world... if your licence is suspended you cannot drive ANYWHERE !!! How do I know ??? I've checked it out already a long time ago... thought about moving to B.C and that isnt in Ontario ... figuring my licence was only suspended in Ontario... wrong... that still does not encourage me to sell my Mustang so I can pay the fines.

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
How about this Don't Brake The Law. I have to believe that you were aware about the motor bike you were riding was illegal. Do the crime Do the time,I can't ride mine legal in PA so guess what I don't.

Adam

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
No, you misunderstood. My ONTARIO drivers license is under suspension. I guess if you're from a different country or province and you don't pay a ticket in Ontario you get issued an Ontario drivers license and they put it under suspension. I thought "Cool, never had a drivers license in another country before". laff

Basically I think it was a scam. Cop wrote me up for making a left turn on a red but what are you supposed to do when you're in the intersection waiting to turn left and the light changes? He said I could fight it if I went to court the day after I was coming home, kind of coincidental seeing as how he told me the court date after he asked me how long I was going to be in Canada.

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
How about this Don't Brake The Law. I have to believe that you were aware about the motor bike you were riding was illegal. Do the crime Do the time,I can't ride mine legal in PA so guess what I don't.

Adam
You CAN ride them legal you just have to fit it with the proper equpment to pass a motorcycle inspection and register it as a home built moped with a limited speed motor licence.

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
He probably wrote the wrong court date, too. I'd be tempted not to show, if it were me. If they tried to jail you for it, you could always defend yourself to the judge as it seemed the officer was under the influence of something and you just thought it would be better not to go against the police by reporting him...

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear about your troubles Midnight_rider...here's some info that you may find useful.

With regards to driving an unsafe motor vehicle.

Part VI, the equipment and safety standards part, of the Ontario HTA says...

“motor vehicle” does not include a motor assisted bicycle; (“véhicule automobile”)

In Ontario a motor assisted bicycle, as described by the MTO, is not required to have a safety standards inspection certificate. Same applies for a power assisted bicycle and a regular bicycle as described by the MTO.

With regards to an improper helmet.

104. (1) of the Ontario HTA reads as follows...

"No person shall ride on or operate a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle on a highway unless the person is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 104 (1)."

Get a letter or a witnessed verbal communication from an official at your local MTO office stating that your modified bicycle cannot be registered as motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle as defined by the MTO. If it is not considered a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle by the MTO you are not required to wear an "approved" motorcycle helmet.

With regards to driving while disqualified.

You may be able to beat it because the officer is going to have to articulate to the judge how he or she knows that your vehicle was being powered by something other than your muscles when he or she first observed you rolling down the road. In Ontario the definition of a motor vehicle does not include a power assisted bicycle or anything that is or was being powered by your muscles.

Be warned that if your licence was under suspension for a criminal code offence such as impaired driving you won't get much sympathy from a judge...or me ;)

PS: I again highly suggest that anyone in Ontario who is interested in owning and operating a bicycle that has been modified with the addition of an electric motor kit or a gas engine kit do read from start to finish the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.