SBP large vs small mid-drives

GoldenMotor.com

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
ok so i've been running a mid-drive for a fair while now (about 1.5yrs) starting with the standard little motor that SBP stocks, it's a great little motor as long as you can handle the whine from the steel straight cut gears and the over heating if you get to throttle happy (motor shuts down for about 3minutes)

recently i ordered SBP's large motor kit an damn! what a difference it's pretty much silent much like hub motors it is however geared differently what i noticed apart from the silence is i did lose some top end spend due mainly to more

built in gear reduction (a good thing TBH) an i think the motor doesn't spin as fast ie, it's rpm is lower (not tested just my feeling on it) think of it more like a diesel, lower rev-ing but more torque so a simple gear change will get my top end an cruise speed back no big deal honestly cuss it climbs the hill my street is on so much easier(^)

i've been out on it for the last two days ringing it's neck an haven't had one over heating shut down BONUS!

oh an the controller is inter changeable so if you are running the small motor an order the kit just unplug an leave your controller in place (^)

i'll add more later after i do some k's (miles) with this rig...........

thank you SBP (^) ...................

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
I run a mid drive to a geared rear hub, it's quick and crazy top speed. You must have got the 3000 watt mid-drive, that's my next one. Keep us updated...

yes with the "small" motor i could hit 40+mph (60-65kph) flat out (honestly i backed off once i saw the speed) with a nexus 3speed running a 22t cog to a 48t chain ring on the motor side was 14t to a 52t using SBP's chain ring spiders

that little motor is fast, the new one(the large 1800-3000w motor) is geared differently so i've lost a lot of top end but it's a lot smoother an so damn quiet i've swapped my 48t for a 50t i had here an ordered a 20t cog for the back so that will hopefully get my cruise speed back where i like it on the twist throttle

if you do it culvercityclassic just buy the mounting kit an the motor as your controller will plug straight up (unless you want spare controller, throttle etc)

i'll keep you all posted...........

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
I have one waiting it's turn on the Monark and sidecar. What size of battery did you get and how is your mileage?

Steve.
i run 2x 48v 25ah batteries on the small motor i've regularly done 130km (80miles) at a speed between 20-30kph but still haven't run the batteries dead flat an i'd prefer not to, i also have a 10ah battery on that back rack as a reserve

on this new motor i have no idea, yet..............

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
I just can't get enough of my ebike, my ride everyday to work....hauls as

Anyone have any idea what rear hub can withstand the 3000 watt motor, I have a SRAM I-Drive 3 speed that's kinda robust...really only need 3 speeds
the 1800-3000watt motor is a lot smoother in power delivery than the small motor and just like with your current motor as long as you don't flat shift you should be all good.........

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
Golden Motors are here in Canada. A 30 amp, 48volt battery delivered to my door is about $1,700 Canadian dollars.

Steve.
damn! ok well i guess all you can do is shop around look on ebay etc.......

btw my batteries aren't custom they look just like the silver ones one GM i have them mounted to my crotch bar (lol the top bar on my beach cruiser)
one either side, it's damn heavy with everything mounted but it does the job i need it to do..........

this is with the old little motor (yes the mount is different from sbp's but the motor is from sbp)

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was looking at the posts on the e-bike threads and someone mentioned Luna Cycle in California and they had some large 48-52V batteries for around $600 U.S. have to add 40% for taxes and dollar exchange but still it's a savings.

They must be good because they were sold out of any that I wanted. I have time to look around.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
C.C.C, thank you for the link. They are part of Luna Cycles and they are the people I've decided to buy from. I'll contact them and see what they advise for the Currie but I'll get as big as they make.
They explain everything carefully in their product information.

The Monark and sidecar and myself will need all there is to get going.

Steve.

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
CulverCityClassic how's your hub been? i ask because i started out with a sturmey archer 3speed disc hub because i had read here it was tough and i wanted disc brakes, well it ended up breaking a pawl which i replaced but the hub never worked properly again

so i had to use my backup wheel with a coaster brake nexus inter-3 an or though the hub works great my only issue is it's not disc brake thus doesn't have the braking power i need hence why i ask about you hub.........